Best approach to transition from a FRDM-K64F board to a custom board?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best approach to transition from a FRDM-K64F board to a custom board?

Jump to solution
peterfurey
Contributor IV

Hi,

I'm currently developing a prototype application on a FRDM-K64F board that I'll need to port to a custom board using the MK24FN1M0VLL12 processor. I'm using Kinetis Design Studio (Version 3.0.0) and KSDK (Version 1.2.0). My project uses MQX RTOS and PE for Kinetis. Our initial approach to migrate to custom hardware is to stack add-on modules (boards) on top of the FRDM-K64F board and get the components/drivers working for it. For example, the first add-on board is a power board with a user comport and an interface for an altimeter. My question is, when I create the base Kinetis Project using the Processor Expert which derivative makes more sense for a starting point, using the board or the processor (FRDM-K64F or MK64FN1M0xxx12)? Obviously, after we get all the components working and create the final custom board, I'll transition to the MK24FN1M0xxx12 derivative. Does it matter? Or does one make more sense than the other for a starting point?

Much thanks for any opinions,

Peter

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
peterfurey
Contributor IV

Hi Kan,

Thank you for your reply, the porting guide looks handy. However, it doesn't really answer my question.

I suspect that using the board instead of the processor as a starting point probably makes more sense.

Thanks again,

Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Kan_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Peter,

The KSDK 1.2 PEx components also support MK24FN1M0xxx12 devices, you may replace the K64 processor with the one for your custom board. Please also refer to the  attached MQX porting guide for more details. The chapter 5 Changing MCU derivative in MQX projects should be helpful for such kind of porting.

pastedImage_0.png

Hope that helps,

Have a great day,
Kan

Freescale Technical Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
peterfurey
Contributor IV

Hi Kan,

Thank you for your reply, the porting guide looks handy. However, it doesn't really answer my question.

I suspect that using the board instead of the processor as a starting point probably makes more sense.

Thanks again,

Peter

0 Kudos