'reset' command in secure binary does not work

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'reset' command in secure binary does not work

Samson88
Contributor II

I'm using the FRDM-K32L3A6 board.  I'm downloading a secure binary (.sb) file using this command:

blhost -p COM5 receive-sb-file my_app.sb

Here is the command file I use when creating the .sb file:

sources {
myImage = "my_app.bin";
}

section (0)
{
erase 0x0000..0x70000;
load myImage > 0;
reset;
}

The first two commands 'erase' and 'load' work.  But when 'reset' is reached, the ROM bootloader returns this status:  kStatusRomLdrUnexpectedCommand.  What does this error mean?  The only documenation I could find say it means  "The command tag in the SB file is unexpected" which tells me nothing more than what the error code already shows.  

If I remove the 'reset' there is no error. 

NOTE:  I know I can reset using blhost, but for reasons I don't want to go into here (too long) I would prefer to do it using the secure binary command file.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Samson88,

Why do you want to use the reset command? The kStatusRomLdrUnexpectedCommand is telling you that the reset command is not expected to be there. That is why by deleting it cleans the error.

Could you please take a look at the following community post? There the reset command is never used, and it could be useful for your application: Making and Downloading Security Image for Kinetis ... - NXP Community.

Kind regards, Raul.

0 Kudos

Samson88
Contributor II

"Why do you want to use the reset command? "

After a firmware update, the device needs to be reset to boot the new image. 

"The reset command is never used"

In the elftosb user guide, the reset command is listed as a valid command (see pic).

"reset command is not expected to be there"

Do you mean that the reset command must come after or before some other command?  "not expected" is vague and tells me nothing more than the error code.

Or are you telling me that the reset command is not supported by the ROM bootloader?  If that is the case then why does the elftosb user guide show that it's a valid command?  Is the documentation incorrect? 

Samson88_0-1700695390656.png

0 Kudos

RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Samson88,

We are still checking this issue. We will let you know any information regarding your case as soon as possible.

Kind regards, Raul.

0 Kudos

RaRo
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Samson88,

Could you please share with us a step-to-step to run the receive-sb-file blhost command like the Making and Downloading Security Image for Kinetis ... - NXP Community post?

How are you setting the BCA and MMCAU binaries to encrypt algorithm? Have you tried using an example binary, for example, frdmk32l3a6_gpio_led_output_cm4.bin to generate your .sb file?

Kind regards, Raul.

0 Kudos