Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis ADC mulitple channel conversions

Jump to solution
rampsr
Contributor III

Hi,

Fairly new to Kinetis. I have two questions that are inter-related.

Is there a manner in which I can sample several ADC channels simultaneously, or does each channel need to be sampled sequentially after the data result of each channel is read and stored? (Doing this outside of Processor Expert, as PE adds too much overhead). I need 4 to 5 channels sampled every 20 microseconds with plenty of time left over for various calculations.

On page 434 of the Kinetis MKL05Z reference manual, it states "For every status and channel control register, there is a corresponding data result register."

This statement seems a bit confusing to me. There are dozens of ADC channels. Does each channel have its own data result register? What is really being implied by the statement made?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution
JimDon
Senior Contributor III

How much time is "plenty" of time?

Arm M0 is not particularly fast at math.

No,one conversion at a time .It says for every status and channel control register, not each channel, there is only one set of result registers (there are 3x 8 bit registers for a total of 12 bits). You select one channel at a time to be converted.

Max conversion rate is about 1.2uS/Channel for details see:

Data Sheet KL05P48M48SF1.pdf

Also a link to the RM for others:

RM KL05P48M48SF1RM.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Monica
Senior Contributor III

Hello Rampsr!

Were this solutions helpful?

We'd like to know, please keep us posted!

Best regards,

Monica

0 Kudos
rampsr
Contributor III

The information provided by the users here have been helpful. It just means I will need to be very efficient in the way I handle my ADC sampling along with other background tasks that need to be done. Thanks

Paul_Tian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It does not mean that each channel has a data result register. But in KL series, it provides more than one status register. SC1A is used for both software and hardware trigger modes of operation. The SC1B–SC1n registers indicate potentially multiple SC1 registers for use only in hardware trigger mode. Differnet status and mode result data will be stored into different result data register.

0 Kudos
JimDon
Senior Contributor III

How much time is "plenty" of time?

Arm M0 is not particularly fast at math.

No,one conversion at a time .It says for every status and channel control register, not each channel, there is only one set of result registers (there are 3x 8 bit registers for a total of 12 bits). You select one channel at a time to be converted.

Max conversion rate is about 1.2uS/Channel for details see:

Data Sheet KL05P48M48SF1.pdf

Also a link to the RM for others:

RM KL05P48M48SF1RM.pdf

0 Kudos