Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KE06Z CAN BOOTLOADER with internal oscillator

Jump to solution
Teja114
Contributor III

Hi @diego_charles ,

I created a new topic regarding internal oscillator with can .

Here the CAN bootloader was working with EVB board , where as with custom board it is not working because we dont have external crystal . our custom board works with internal oscillator.

My query is that is there any CAN code working with internal oscillator.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Teja114 

I hope you are doing well!

Our SDK examples use the external clock for MSCAN and also this clock is used for generating other clocks, See ICS FEE (FFL Engage external mode) in the KE06 Reference manual Chapter 20 Internal Clock Source (ICS). Yet I do not have an example with the required configuration to provide you.

For clocking the MSCAN with the internal clock (internal oscillator) you may try to use the Bus clock (MSCAN supports two clock sources). For example, the bus clock can be generated by the FLL, and the clock source for the FLL can be the internal clock.

However, and external clock will provide more accuracy and will have less jitter than the internal clock. I would recommend checking if with the internal oscillator you can meet CAN clocking requirements for your desired can bus speed. More detail regarding MSCAN clocking in the reference manual chapter 32.4.5.2 Clock system.

As a little commercial, if it helps for your development, you can try the MCUxpresso Config tools. I like to use it because it gives me a graphical overview of clock trees and lets me generate initialization code.  Below and snapshot of the KE06Z clock diagram, with the ICS in FEE mode in the Config Tools Clocks tool.

FEE.PNG

My apologies for the delay,

I hope this could help you.

Diego.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Teja114
Contributor III

Hi @diego_charles ,

Thanks a lot ..

Everything is working fine...

0 Kudos
Teja114
Contributor III

Hi @diego_charles ,

Greetings of the day!!!!

Thanks for your immediate response.

hope you doing well.

The thing i want to share with you was the code with the custom board was working fine .

we committed to test 10 number of boards , only four boards were working fine, i know that there wont be  problem with the code .

There may be the hardware issue on some boards.

The following misbehavior 's observed on the boards..

1)  CAN CYCLE TIME ISSUE  , means we're testing the can data with PCAN-VIEW device on that the device receiving C but with random time.

2) UNABLE TO CHANGE TO BOOT MODE , means some devices unable to send C and not going to boot mode..

Thanks in advance @diego_charles 

0 Kudos
diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Teja114 

Thank you for your reply!

I will have to check further to see what other recommendation I could provide. I am also thinking that this may be a hardware issue.

Could you try to adapt a custom board (that failed) to work with an external 8 MHz crystal and see if this gives different results regarding the CAN CYLCE TIME ISSUE?

Is there any other significant difference between your custom board and the FRDM-KE06Z board?

Yours,

Diego

0 Kudos
Teja114
Contributor III

Hi @diego_charles ,   "Great Advisor"

Greetings of the day!!!

Thanks for your response..

yeah!!! what you said we tried on non - working boards  with external  crystal oscillator its working.

But our application code was working on the non-working boards . only the bootloader code was not working .

we are just confused a little bit is this hardware issue or software issue

kindly guide us ,

Thanks,

Teja..

0 Kudos
diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Teja114 

Just to summarize what we have  checked.

1 The bootloader AN5219 bootloader code works  on your  FRDM-KE06Z boards (Let me know if this is not correct )

2  After using the external 8 MHz crystal oscillator instead of the IRC oscillator, you were able to transmit CAN messages on all of your boards.

Are you able to see the C´s that are mentioned in the AN5219 step  7 ? Or going further,  are you unable to see the  application ( that you burned using bootloader ) running?

Let me know any other detail regarding your custom board that we could check.

My apologies for the delay!

Diego.

Teja114
Contributor III

Hi @diego_charles ,

Greetings of the day!!!

Everything is working fine just we re-write the internal oscillator code by following the reference manual .

Thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Teja114 

Greetings of the day as well !

Thank you for your reply and information.

I am glad that you managed to track the issue.

Yours,

Diego.

Teja114
Contributor III

Hi @diego_charles ,

Thanks for your response...

we are trying to check with external crystal on the custom board once it was done , i will update...

diego_charles
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Teja114 

I hope you are doing well!

Our SDK examples use the external clock for MSCAN and also this clock is used for generating other clocks, See ICS FEE (FFL Engage external mode) in the KE06 Reference manual Chapter 20 Internal Clock Source (ICS). Yet I do not have an example with the required configuration to provide you.

For clocking the MSCAN with the internal clock (internal oscillator) you may try to use the Bus clock (MSCAN supports two clock sources). For example, the bus clock can be generated by the FLL, and the clock source for the FLL can be the internal clock.

However, and external clock will provide more accuracy and will have less jitter than the internal clock. I would recommend checking if with the internal oscillator you can meet CAN clocking requirements for your desired can bus speed. More detail regarding MSCAN clocking in the reference manual chapter 32.4.5.2 Clock system.

As a little commercial, if it helps for your development, you can try the MCUxpresso Config tools. I like to use it because it gives me a graphical overview of clock trees and lets me generate initialization code.  Below and snapshot of the KE06Z clock diagram, with the ICS in FEE mode in the Config Tools Clocks tool.

FEE.PNG

My apologies for the delay,

I hope this could help you.

Diego.