Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K60 - using VREGIN pin in USB device mode

Jump to solution
panpwr
Contributor IV

Hello,

I couldn't find an explanation regarding the logical role of this pin. I understand that - electrically - it takes an input of 5V from the USB device, and outputs 3.3V through VOUT33 pin - in order to use it for powering the Kinetis circuit.

However, I already power the circuit from an external 3.3V source, so I don't need this functionality. Nevertheless, the device won't work in USB device mode (no events are triggered to SW) if this pin is not being supplied from the USB device with 5V.

Is there a way to disable the usage of this pin using SW, or I would have to connect it to the USB device's VCC line?

Thanks,

Lior.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
florintoma
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As Kari said, USB KHCI controller is bus powered only. If you check the RM at sub-chapter 3.9.2.2.1 fig. 3-54 the USB controller is powered only from USB Regulator which is powered from VBUS. The USB in host mode without VREGIN to VBUS, only provides VBUS power for the device conected but the USB controller will not work. I've tested myself on 2 different K60 revisions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kari
Contributor III

Hi Lior,

VREGIN is the input for the internal USB regulator. The USB block of the kinetis powers itself from the internal regulator only.

Look at

3.9.2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) Subsystem

from the reference manual.

Regards,

Kari

jonpry
Contributor I

Is there a way this behavior could be used to detect VBUS presence for a device only setup? I don't have any gpio pins available. 

0 Kudos
panpwr
Contributor IV

Hey Kari,

Thanks for picking this up. There is still something I don't understand:

We've operated the USB in host mode without attaching anything to this pin. How come the regulator doesn't needs to be fed in this mode, if this is the USB block's only source of power?

0 Kudos
florintoma
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As Kari said, USB KHCI controller is bus powered only. If you check the RM at sub-chapter 3.9.2.2.1 fig. 3-54 the USB controller is powered only from USB Regulator which is powered from VBUS. The USB in host mode without VREGIN to VBUS, only provides VBUS power for the device conected but the USB controller will not work. I've tested myself on 2 different K60 revisions.

0 Kudos