cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to view stdout from printf() on TWR_k70 board

joetrovato
Contributor I

Hello,

I am trying to debug a simple Hello World program. I have tried many ways to view the printf() statement I have placed in the code. I have tried a bare-metal hello example and an MQX hello example and have not been able to see either. I am connecting the board to the computer via usb through the OSJTAG/OSBDM port on the tower board. I have installed the drivers and firmware from PE Micro as well as downloaded the OSBDM Virtual Serial Tower Toolkit. From what I can tell none of the jumpers on the twr_k70 board need to be altered. I am debugging from CodeWarrior 10.4. I have selected the PE Multilink/ OSJTAG/OSBDM - USB Port option for debugging and have successfully built and launched the code. I can blink LEDs but cannot see the output of the printf() statements in the code. Windows 7 recognizes my device as OSBDM/OSJTAG CDC Serial Port (COM17) which makes me believe if I connect to this port I should be able to see my print statements.  I have tried Window -> Show View -> Terminal (COM17 38400 8 1 none none)  and have also tried the P&E terminal utility connecting to USB_COM but neither gave output.

I looked at this post: How do I get printf output to a console?  and it got very convoluted and did not seem to directly address the question. If I missed something here please let me know.

Does anyone know where I can find the output to my print statements on twr_k70 board using OSJTAG/OSBDM?

I also have a P&E Multilink Universal in case that is the way to see the output but I thought that JTAG does support serial.

Thank you for your help!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies

joetrovato
Contributor I

UPDATE: I am able to see printf() on the CW debugging console by creating a bareboard project and selecting Debugger Console under the IO Support option. See image below. This works with either OSJTAG or PE Multilink Universal as the the debugging interface. What I am really trying to do is view UART IO message (printf(), puts()) in a terminal program or the terminal built into code warrior.

My source code looks like this:

#include "derivative.h" /* include peripheral declarations */

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)

{

int counter = 0;

for(;;) {  

counter++;

printf("Hello UART!");

}

return 0;

}

I am not sure what the difference is between selecting UART IO vs Debuggin Console IO. Does anyone know what this changes in the libraries that control the version of printf() is used? Similarly, Does anyone know what the default output of printf() is for an MQX 4.0.1 project is?

Thank you!

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos

EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Joe,

In the CodeWarrior User Guide in the page 59 in the table 2-12 "Language and Build Tools Options Page settings - Kinetis derivatives" you can see the differences between these two options.

pastedImage_0.png

Regards,

Earl.

0 Kudos

EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Joe,

Could you please share the projects with this problem?

Best regards,

Earl.

0 Kudos