Hard Fault when disabling GPIO pin with interrupt configuration

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Fault when disabling GPIO pin with interrupt configuration

geoffs
Contributor I

I have an application where I wanted to initially configure a pin as a GPIO input, with an interrupt triggered on a falling edge, and then re-mux the pin to an alternative function.  It has been causing hard faults which I couldn't understand, so I have managed to recreate the issue with a very basic program on a FRDM-KL26Z board.  

See below code snippet which sets up Port A pin 13 as a GPIO input, configures it to generate an interrupt on a falling edge, enables interrupts for Port A, then attempts to re-mux the pin to disabled state.  A hard fault occurs at this point in the program.

CLOCK_EnableClock(kCLOCK_PortA);
PORT_SetPinMux(PORTA, 13U, kPORT_MuxAsGpio);
PORT_SetPinInterruptConfig(PORTA, 13U, kPORT_InterruptFallingEdge);
EnableIRQ(PORTA_IRQn); // this enable IRQ on all of Port A
PORT_SetPinMux(PORTA, 13U, kPORT_PinDisabledOrAnalog);

The code uses KSDK v2 commands for clarity, but the same fault occurs if the SDK function calls are replaced with the equivalent register read/write commands.

In the example above, the final re-mux was to disable the GPIO pin, but a hard fault occurs if it is re-muxed to other functions (Alt2, Alt3 etc).

Is anyone else able to replicate this behaviour ?  Is this expected behaviour ?  I haven't seen anything to suggest it is, but perhaps there is something buried in the ARM reference manuals which says not to change pin muxes when a pin is configured with interrupts.

If it is expected behaviour: what are the other options for either disabling or re-configuring the GPIO pin for alternative functions ??

0 Kudos
1 Reply

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Geoff Sokoll,

Did you add the port interrupt service function(IRQ function)?

If you didn't add it, when the interrupt happens, the code will enter in the hardfault.

So, please add the interrupt service function, then try it again.

Wish it helps you!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos