Free compiler for Kinetis K series devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free compiler for Kinetis K series devices

jrychter
Contributor V

I'm looking into switching from MSP430 devices to Kinetis K series — I've outgrown the tiny (cheap) MSP430 chips, and the pricing for USB-capable F55xx series is comparable to Kinetis K series.

But I've spent the past hour or so looking around and I can't find the answer: can I start working with the Kinetis Freedom platform and K series devices without spending $1000 on CodeWarrior (or another paid tool)? I looked at CodeWarrior pricing, and it makes no sense: if I stick to the free version, I'll limit myself to 64k — but why switch to 128kB Kinetis K devices, then? Plus, I'm working myself into a trap: after I invest lots of time and effort to learn the new platform, I'll be locked in and have to pay significant fees.

I'm not looking for a bells-and-whistles IDE. I just need a compiler, a complete set of headers, and a way to load the software (via USB) onto a target device. With the MSP430 I can get that with their Code Composer (limited to 32kB) or gcc-msp430, which is now getting adopted by TI and should be much better supported. I don't need graphical configuration tools and the like — but I *would* like to start developing right away, without spending weeks on debugging toolchain problems.

I have to admit, seeing >$1k pricing doesn't do much to encourage hobbyists to switch to Kinetis microcontrollers, and I'm having a hard time understanding where the "Freedom" in the "Freedom Platform" comes from. I applaud vendors for launching cheap development platforms (TI Launchpad and Freescale Freedom), but it seems that a component is still missing.

So — am I missing something? Can I download a gcc-based toolchain, drop in Kinetis libs/headers, and produce a binary that can be dropped onto a Kinetis K-based device?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

jrychter
Contributor V

Ok, so I *was* missing something :-) Glad to have been corrected. I will stick to CodeWarrior for now, then — the DIY instructions indicate lots of work just to set up a basic system. I hope one day I'll be able to type "brew install kinetis-devel" on my Mac and have the entire toolchain loaded.

I don't know where I saw the 64K limit, but I'm glad I'm wrong. 128k makes sense, as this is the memory size that most inexpensive devices stocked by distributors come with.

0 Kudos

LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

In this community forums you can find people using GCC for Kinetis devices.

But CodeWarrior Special Edition (Free) is limited to 128K for Kinetis devices, not 64K. And included Processor Expert and support for bare metal USB stack, MQX RTOS, etc. (Free also) Now Special Edition is including also MQX TAD (Task Aware Debug) support.

Best Regards,

Luis

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jan,

the answer is yes. Have a look here:

DIY Free Toolchain for Kinetis: Part 1 – GNU ARM Build Tools | MCU on Eclipse

There are multiple parts, up to adding an IDE and debug things.

The tutorial is for Kinetis-L, but applies to K too.