FRDM-K64F I cannot download code to it.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-K64F I cannot download code to it.

alvinschatte
Contributor I

I was going through the getting Started tutorial for the FRDM-K64F and I was unable to download the "Hello World" app into the device.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Would you please give us more information about the question?

For example:

You can attach the error message image shown by IDE.

Check if the onboard OpenSDA is installed.

OpenSDA Device Manager.jpg

If you are using Windows 8 and 10, please refer: Bricking and Recovering OpenSDA Boards in Windows 8 and 10

Best Regards,

Robin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

alvinschatte
Contributor I

Hi Robin,

Thank you for responding to my plea.

I purchased the FRDM-K64F board from Digi-Key and was using it in a Windows 10 environment. I was going through the "Getting Started" instructions for the board on the NXP website, downloading and installing the software and installed the latest driver for the board. I got the "mbed ..." label on the Ports section of the Control Panel. However, the start up demo did not work when initially connecting to the USB. I thought it might not have been installed in this board, so I moved on, built the "Hello World" app and tried to install and run it within the McuExpresso Eclipse IDE. The message was something like "cannot connect to the board". I then found the portion of the NXP website dealing with Windows 10 issues and found the part that lets me test to see what boot loader is installed in the device. When I went through the flowchart, I determined that the boot loader was "bricked". I have not been able to renew my effort since then, but would appreciate any help that you all may provide. Right now, I do not have a JTag debugger or access to prototyping facilities. Is there a way that I can get this board working again? I would really like to work with it.

Regards with thanks,

Alvin Schatte

12399 S. Hwy 121

Trenton, TX 75490

903-989-5503

469-734-6987 ©

AlvinSchatte@skytex.net

0 Kudos

davidsherman
Senior Contributor I

If you're using it with Windows 8 or Windows 10, there is a known issue where it may get corrupted and the debug interface goes down.  I've been wrestling with the same board, and while I was able to get the OpenSDA debug interface working again, I can't seem to get the mass storage interface working again.  Partly because when I boot it in bootloader mode, the available space reported is smaller than available for the msd/debug application.  This link may help. OpenSDA Serial and Debug Adapter|NXP 

Is it showing signs of life at least?  If you plug the USB cable into the SDAUSB connector and plug it into your computer, does the green light come on?  If it's flashing, it may be stuck in bootloader mode and you should see a disk drive showing up in Windows that says "bootloader".  If you download the OpenSDA drivers from Pemicro (you'll need to sign up), the DEBUG-FRDM-K64F_Pemicro_v108a_for_OpenSDA_v2.0.bin file at least seems to restore the debug interface and I can program and debug from McuXpresso.

0 Kudos

alvinschatte
Contributor I

Hi David,

Thanks for your help.

I was using McuExpresso in Windows 10 when things happened. In the IDE I got a message like "cannot connect to board". I think I was using the OpenSDA. I'll take a look at the links you have provided. I would very much like to get this board going. It looks quite powerful and flexible.

Regards,

Alvin Schatte

12399 S. Hwy 121

Trenton, TX 75490

903-989-5503

469-734-6987 ©

AlvinSchatte@skytex.net

0 Kudos

alvinschatte
Contributor I

Thanks for the info David. I'll give it a try, but I don't know when I'll get back to it.

Alvin Schatte

0 Kudos