FDRM-K64F - not working - requires an update?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDRM-K64F - not working - requires an update?

soul26
Contributor I

I bought this board a few days ago. The demo didn't worked. I followed the advice but the link was broken so I thought of just loading another quick demo. I choose Mbed because it was easy to try. Most of the libraries are old, and don't work, and none of the demos worked. From there I found this 

https://armmbed.github.io/DAPLink/?board=FRDM-K64F

I am not convinced this a good route yet. I would like to ask if any of you encounter this error and/ or you have any advice. I have a hunch this batch just has older firmware and it needs an update or maybe it's damaged as the demo didn't worked at all. I was just able to see the green led for the SDA communication, but that is it. 

Thanks for any reply, and have an awesome day

0 Kudos
10 Replies

soul26
Contributor I

I tried to test if the bootloader was updated. I tried via command as suggested in the embed link you added. 

This is the output.

soul26@ubuntu-soul:/media/soul26/BOOTLOADER$ cp -r ~/Downloads 0244_k20dx_bl_0x5000.bin && sync
cp: cannot create directory '0244_k20dx_bl_0x5000.bin': No space left on device

I tried after this to plug the device and check if it is not bricked, I did it by pressing again the reset button while connecting it and it is still mounting as bootloader. So you have any other advice? 

0 Kudos

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi soul26,

Please get FRDM-K64F SDK from https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/select. NXP put it's most update SDK here. 

What IDE do you use now, Mbed? We have MCUXpresso IDE for customer, it's free. After you install the IDE, you should import FRDM-K64F SDK first. Then you can try all the demos in SDK.

The default openSDA on FRDM-K64F is DAPlink. You must install driver before use it.

https://www.nxp.com/design/microcontrollers-developer-resources/ides-for-kinetis-mcus/opensda-serial...

There is another thing you have to take care. Maybe the default openSDA bootloader on your board is v2.1.  It could be corrupted when the board is plugged into a Windows 10 machine. Please follow the guide in above page to upgrade the firmware.

Have a nice day!

Jing

0 Kudos

soul26
Contributor I

Hi, again.  

I followed the instructions to check the bootloader, and it needed an update. It was mounting as BOOTLOADER. I copied the .bin file in step 1 into the target. This unmounted the device and the SDA led started flashing. It has been more than 15 minutes and it is still flashing very quickly. Should I disconnect it? I am afraid to brick it, as it seems to still be writing to the device. 

0 Kudos

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Now you plug in the USB and the board is mounted as BOOTLOADER, the SDA keep on flash? This is correct. Now you can copy one of the three application to this disk, CMSIS-DAP/JLINK/PEmicro.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos

soul26
Contributor I

Hi 

According to the chart to check if the boot loader is updated, it should appear as "maintenance". Should I still load the files? is there an error in the chart? am I missing something?

This is what I see

soul26_0-1607049487647.png

Thanks for all you help,

0 Kudos

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Can you find a window pc and copy the binary file again? I tested on a FRDM-K64F. It can work.

If you use ubuntu, bootloader version is not important. You can use the original openSDA on the board.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos

soul26
Contributor I

Hi, I have tried all the suggested. I have no idea what could be wrong. Is there any chance the board is damaged?

Not even the demo ran. 

I would like to know if this is likely to happen if I bought another one. 

Thanks, 

0 Kudos

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I think it's unlike to be hardware problem. please follow this guide and try again.

https://os.mbed.com/blog/entry/DAPLink-bootloader-update/

If that's not work, you can use a JLINK adapter to download bootloader binary file to K20 directly via J20.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos

soul26
Contributor I

Hi, I tried already to follow the instructions on that website. I did it on Linux 16.04 and Windows too. The bootloader issue is the same. I connect the device while pressing reset, the device is mounted as bootloader. Then I added the .bin file from step one. Green led keeps flashing every sec approx for a long time. Disconnect the device connected again and nothing happens. Still in the bootloader, and not mounting automatically. 

I don't have that adapter. I am not sure I want to get it without knowing if it is actually going to work or what else it is needed. I am assuming the process is similar to the described in this mbed website: (os.mbed.com/blog/entry/DAPLink-bootloader-updates-with-external/) Am I right?

If so, I don't have another device suitable for loading the bootloader in the current one. 

Also, I tried to install the MCUXpresso, but I am getting an error "The software licensing and registration system is currently experiencing an unexpected error. Please try again later or contact NXP® Technical Support ". I wanted to attach screenshots but the forum is showing me a " you don't have permission to upload images"

Is there another way I can update this? also,  how can I have access to the download?

Kind regards, 

0 Kudos

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi soul26,

1. Have you change the Windows setting? If you have changed but still can't upgrade, please try to find a win7 or another Win10. It is really possible that win10 can't copy to u-disk correctly. (My old laptop can't copy the bootloader image successfully too.)

2. The original openSDA bootloader is V2.0. I attached a P&E firmware. It is for v2.0 openSDA. If you want use win10, you can use this firmware.

There are only two way to upgrade bootloader and application firmware, by copying or by a Jlink/Mutilink/Ulink or something like that.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos