Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing up custom board with MKM34Z128CLL5 - software support

Jump to solution
sivanesanr
Contributor I

Hello,

I am designing a small electrical sensor based device with Freescale micro controller MKM34Z128CLL5 and new to bringing up microcontroller.
Have gone through some the links provided in the Freescale web site.

I need some clarification regarding software part.

Is Code Warrior (Development tool) and OpenSDA (as debugger) are enough ?
If so, Is CW having some reference code to bring up the specified micro controller ?
What about OS, device drivers ?

Please help me to proceed. I know that I have put a set of generic questions.

If you need any specific inputs from me please as

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1. Do I need to write code to bring up the micro controller ? (Hope I don't need to write. This micro controller have some software internally to start)

TS: The flash need be programed with customer application code. The flash memory is empty when chip shipped.

2. I may need to write like a device driver stuff to configure the external devices (LCD and the electrical sensor) right ?

TS: Yes, the LCD driver could refer TWR-KM34Z50M LCD demo and the sensor need to check which communication module using SPI/I2C, there already with SPI and I2C driver.

3. Is MQX Lite RTOS software need any code modification to support  the chip MKM34Z128CLL5 / it requires some configurations ?

TS: There with configuration options as PE component.

4. For debugging this board is still OpenSDA is enough or do you have a better suggestion ?

TS: In general, customer could select to use P&E Multilink Universal or Segger J-Link debugger tool.

More detailed info, please check below link:

http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320137

http://www.segger.com/jlink-debug-probes.html

While, customer also could consider to use OpenSDA, as general debug application, that will be suitable.

Wish it helps.
best regards
Ma Hui

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

If customer is using TWR-KM34Z50M boardd? If yes, CodeWarrior MCU V10.6 and OpenSDA(debugger)  is enough for the development.

Customer can download KM34 CodeWarrior example project from below link:

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/software/TWR-KM34_DEMO_SW.zip

About RTOS, customer can consider to use MQX Lite, which is embedded in Processor Expert software (as a component).

CodeWarrior MCU v10.6 also with Processor Expert software.

Wish it helps.
best regards
Ma Hui

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

sivanesanr
Contributor I

Hi Ma Hui,

Thanks for your reply.

I will go through the project that you have suggested.

It is a custom board. we are not using TWR-KM34Z50M. This custom board has 1 LCD display and a electrical sensor chip.

We are using MKM34Z128CLL5.

Basically I need to configure this LCD display and the electrical sensor chip.

As I am very new to Micro controllers I need to understand the below things.

My questions are (May silly, but pls help me to understand),

1. Do I need to write code to bring up the micro controller ? (Hope I don't need to write. This micro controller have some software internally to start)

2. I may need to write like a device driver stuff to configure the external devices (LCD and the electrical sensor) right ?

3. Is MQX Lite RTOS software need any code modification to support  the chip MKM34Z128CLL5 / it requires some configurations ?

4. For debugging this board is still OpenSDA is enough or do you have a better suggestion ?

thanks for your help again.

Regards,

Sivanesan R.

0 Kudos
Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

TS: The flash need be programed with customer application code. The flash memory is empty when chip shipped.

TS: Yes, the LCD driver could refer TWR-KM34Z50M LCD demo and the sensor need to check which communication module using SPI/I2C, there already with SPI and I2C driver.

TS: There with configuration options as PE component.

TS: In general, customer could select to use P&E Multilink Universal or Segger J-Link debugger tool.

More detailed info, please check below link:

http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320137

http://www.segger.com/jlink-debug-probes.html

While, customer also could consider to use OpenSDA, as general debug application, that will be suitable.

Wish it helps.
best regards
Ma Hui

0 Kudos
sivanesanr
Contributor I

Hi Ma Hui,

Thanks for your answers and suggestions.

From your answers I have got a good understanding.

Regards,

Sivanesan R.

0 Kudos
sivanesanr
Contributor I

Hi Ma Hui,

Need one more clarification.

Will Segger's J-Link base work with Code warrior without any additional software ?

Or do I need buy any additional software from them to make the J-link base work with CW.

Regards,

Sivanesan R

0 Kudos
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

CodeWarrior comes installed with all the needed Segger software and drivers, so you can use a Segger J-Link out of the box.

Some Segger units can have extra add-on features and licenses (like unlimited FLASH breakpoints), but this is handled directly by the Segger software.

You can downoad the latest Segger software/drivers from the Segger web site, and it will detect your CodeWarrior installation and update it as necessary.

Erich

sivanesanr
Contributor I

Thank you Ma Hui and Erich !

0 Kudos
Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Maybe you need to download J-Link driver from below link, I am not quite sure if CW already provides J-Link driver.

SEGGER - The Embedded Experts - Software

After J-Link driver installed, there no need other software any more.

Wish it helps.
best regards
Ma Hui

0 Kudos