cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PWM Procesor Expert

Jump to solution
stevengarfinkel
Contributor III

I am trying to set up a moderately complicated PWM configuration and I am wondering if it is possible using processor expert.

The processor I am using is the KL03 which has two timers each timer with two PWM channels.

I want a 20kHz frequency and all four channels using the same time base.

According to the part datasheet one timer can generate the time base for all channels by setting that timer to global time base, which can be done using processor expert.

However in processor expert each pwm channel has an independent frequency setting when in fact the frequency setting is a characteristic of the timer, not the pwm channel.  From my understanding, once the frequency of the timer is set, all the dependent channels must have the same frequency.

Based on what I see it looks like processor expert is limited in supporting pwm configurations.

Is there a way to get it to work using processor expert?

Thanks,

Steve

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Steve,

For one timer, no matter we whether use PE , the channels for the timer has the same frequency.

Two timers can have different frequency.

If i misunderstand your question , please tell me !

Hope it helps

Alice

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Steve,

For one timer, no matter we whether use PE , the channels for the timer has the same frequency.

Two timers can have different frequency.

If i misunderstand your question , please tell me !

Hope it helps

Alice

0 Kudos
stevengarfinkel
Contributor III

Alice, Thanks for the reply. You got part of the question.

If you look at the design studio processor expert interface you can set

the timer period in the basic configuration AND you can set the pwm

frequency in each of the channels. I was wondering if anyone knew if it

actually worked properly, or how processor expert decides which

frequency to use.

The proper implementation should have the timer period set in the basic

configuration and the resulting pwm frequency as read only in the

channels. It would be nice if when you hovered over the pwm frequency

in the channels that a note explaining that the frequency was set from

the basic configuration period showed. Also, if one of the timers is

set as the global time base then ALL the channels, even those normally

associated with other timers, should have the frequency set based on the

global time base.

Regards, Steve

Steven R. Garfinkel

ELECTRONICS DESIGN AND TECHNICAL ANALYSIS

sgarfinkel@Ellipsah.com <mailto:sgarfinkel@Ellipsah.com>

NXP Community

<http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/9AA/PDcDAA/t.1u4/UgouaWPYReWeXdzEj35bVw/h0/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cUjBPgRj-2F3GoJUaXSZ409bQJ6kyiZ2Cef2qt-2B2uYN1YnWHaJNGi7m0dsLcrT7D0aEsRC9ydi8bGmPSoTrNqropzOzEJWlRcWGPjR3DG2V-2Fd9JgazgrYhAttaPsLKIUR-2FzQ-3D-3D>

>

PWM Procesor Expert

reply from Alice_Yang

<http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/9AA/PDcDAA/t.1u4/UgouaWPYReWeXdzEj35bVw/h1/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cUjBPgRj-2F3GoJUaXSZ409bR0HKx9NliUV7Nk1J2JuKQDvZy-2BIAmU7qUQWOtei2k-2F-2BBBgNIa1LXbG1zvqNV-2FeC-2BU-3D>

in /Kinetis Design Studio/ - View the full discussion

<http://jiveon.jivesoftware.com/mpss/c/9AA/PDcDAA/t.1u4/UgouaWPYReWeXdzEj35bVw/h2/eqhG5v9o4WV1pCmWaB03cUjBPgRj-2F3GoJUaXSZ409bQosukMSY9ASErIFsWrCq3VyV-2BY8-2BBdEoqB5K9VDlLj-2BYRHHJ-2B545emVdBTzkxOm0I-3D>

>

0 Kudos
Alice_Yang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Steven.

I have test it ,  the configuration of "Frequency" have no effect when set more then one.

If configure more than one , only the last one int the initialize function have effect, the initialize function at here:

pastedImage_0.png

after configuration the TPM component  ,the default " Components_Ini" function is

pastedImage_1.png

and i change "&tpmTmr1_ChnConfig0"  to "&tpmTmr1_ChnConfig1", then i check the tho channel  PWM signals , all of them are  240HZ.

pastedImage_2.png

So, we should configure the same data at the Frequency option when set more then one channel.

Hope it helps

Have a great day,
Alice Yang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos