Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Producing a executable binary

tonytrm
Contributor II

Hi

Version of the compiler is 7.2 CPU type mcf52277

Since my last post I reduced the project to a header table (similar to vetors) and a simple single line of C code. Looking in the binary file produced, preceding the header there are two longs the first is the start address and the second in the size of the header. We want to make a executable binary and having these longs in the code will obviously cause issues. The S Record produced fails as well as it has the wanted code and then the two longs listed below at the same address. How do we produce a pure binary to run without the debugger?

We de-selected "Generate symbolic Info" but the output binary and S record still include these longs.

Thanks

Tony

Labels (1)
5 Replies

ejwords
Contributor II

Hi all.

I've been wanting to find a solution for this as well.

Having the load address & # bytes in the binary file is a bit of a headache.

A simple solution would be to prepend a bit of code to the binary which copies each section based on the load address & number of bytes,

however, I found another solution which is even easier.

Although I've not tried it yet, I did see a solution in another post, so thought I would relay it here.

There are a set of free tools from uTasker - one of which will convert the binary output from CodeWarrior to a flat binary suitable for executing.

Here is the link to the uTasker Forum:  http://www.utasker.com/forum/index.php?topic=1445.0

Under ' uTaskerConvert ' I see details of this function :

Added capability to convert Motorola binary to raw binary output. This is useful for CodeWarrior binary output

which can otherwise not be used directly as a code image - after the conversion the content is in raw binary format

and so suitable for general binary program use.

User "uTaskerConvert uTasker_BM.bin raw.bin -b"

I hope that helps.

Ewan J. Wordsworth

Microbee Technology Pty Ltd.

www.microbeetechnology.com.au

0 Kudos

lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I moved it to CodeWarrior for MCU to increase the possibility of being seen by those who may concern.

gmnelson
Contributor III

We also have a need for a pure binary file!

We were under the false impression that "Generate Binary Image" in CodeWarrior produced a pure binary image file.  But this binary file seems to be a binary version of the .s19 file which means we still have to parse it.  First 4 bytes are address, next 4 are number of data bytes, and then the data bytes follow.  This is repeated for each unique section.

Freescale - how can we get the tools to generate a pure binary image that can be directly downloaded and programmed in flash without having to go through the extra task of parsing it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

martinw
Contributor III

How about creating an elf file then using objcopy to extract to a binary?

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

objcopy for sure should be usable to create a binary, either from the S19 file or from the .elf/.afx file.

I used it like in this post: Converting S19 Files into Binary Files with GNU objcopy | MCU on Eclipse

You can use a post-build step to call objcopy:

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2013/10/29/s-record-manipulation-with-gnu-objcopy-and-burner-utility/

Erich

0 Kudos