Blue screen with PEMicro (OpenSDA) drivers - how to fix?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue screen with PEMicro (OpenSDA) drivers - how to fix?

WolfgangW
Contributor I

Hi all,

I just wanted to start designing with Kinetis KL, but am getting stuck at the earliest stage.

I have a Linux workstation as a development PC with a virtualized Windows 7 64bit machine for "compatibility". The virtual Windows 7 machine has its own dedicated USB controller and up to now, any device connected to this USB controller worked flawlessly.

Now there is Codewarrior for MCU Special Edition/Evaluation 10.4...

I tried the regular install and it crashes with a blue screen during installation of the OpenSDA drivers. CodeWarrior itself is running, but obviously, I can't connect to the Debug Interface.

I tried downloading the drivers from PEMicro (Version 11), but the same blue screen happens when installing this package.

I don't know what PEMicro is doing wrong in their drivers, but as I did not yet find any other USB device that fails, it is definitely their fault.

(Not to mention Freescale's fault of abandoning Linux as the development platform!)

Is there any other reasonable possibility for debugging I could try? Or any other - beta, whatever - driver to try?

Best regards,

Wolfgang

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Alx
Contributor II

I found a similar question on the mbed forum and the issue ended up being that the computer had only USB 3.0 ports (read KL25 USB port (not openSDA) does not function on some pcs - Question | mbed). The solution was using a USB 2.0 Hub. It seems that the OpenSDA drivers are creating a problem with USB3.0 hardware.

Having said that, I have not been able to validate this. I met someone yesterday with this problem which led me to look for a solution. I'll test the using a 2.0 hub in about a week and let you know the outcome. You may want to give it a try too.

Regards,

Rafael

0 Kudos

WolfgangW
Contributor I

Thanks for the hint!

My PC itself does also have USB 3.0 ports - however, they are not visible to the Windows 7 guest. The Windows 7 guest has one of the USB 2.0 controllers assigned as a PCI device.

Meanwhile I found a solution: use USBDM!

USBDM does have drivers that work on Windows 7 (32 and 64 Bit), there is a firmware for the "Open"SDA hardware on the "Freedom" board, and as far as I can tell now, everything works.

USBDM: USBDM Debugger interface for Freescale RS08,HCS08,HCS12,Coldfire and ARM-Kinetis Devices.

Was a good reminder to better check for open source alternatives instead of relying too much on proprietary tools.

Regards,

Wolfgang

0 Kudos