Another problem with CW 6.2 for HC(s)08

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another problem with CW 6.2 for HC(s)08

fabio
Contributor IV
Another bizarre issue found on CW 6.2 for HCS08: I am using it to program (just to program) some (50) boards.

After programming 20 or 30 boards, when I try to program another one (by clicking the DEBUG button) the debugger (Hiwave) complains (no connection currently configured). So I have to open the device and connection panel and reselect the P&E Multilink/Cyclone Pro option.

Another annoying issue of the new CW 6.2 :smileysad:

Usually I would go to Freescale's support service first, but considering that my previous SR about the problem when compiling/linking is still open and UNASSIGNED since 06/16!

1-448448229 Unassigned 06/16/2008 12:43:47 GMT - - CW 6.2 hangs during compiling/linking

It looks like the guys at the support are quite busy ...

Best regards,
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

furo
Contributor I
Hello,

I'm just curios about scenario how you are doing this? Do you start debug session with one board connected, program it, disconnect your P&E interface, connect cable to next one, and so on...
0 Kudos

fabio
Contributor IV
Exactly ...

For small quantities that is how we do here. All using an USB Multilink and Codewarrior. For production or higher quantities we use our Cyclone or SuperPro 3000U programmer.

Regards,
0 Kudos

Lundin
Senior Contributor IV
Why are you doing batch programming from the debugger though? Put the program in the Cyclone and press start... it programs a processor in 10 seconds, compared to minutes in the debugger. And by using the Cyclone you can get flash security etc, something that the debugger can't fix for you.
0 Kudos

fabio
Contributor IV
Hello Lundin!

I agree with you man, but we have just one cyclone and its memory is already full of production firmwares (unfortunately it can store only eight images).

Regarding code security, I think you are wrong because on HCS08 devices the debugger can turn on the security by writing the NVOPT register (just like the Cyclone would do).

Besides, I believe that CW should work ok, even if one needs to program tens or hundreds of devices "by hand". Needless to say that there are many small companies and small developers out there that do exactly that.

Moreover: the previous versions worked ok on this topic. So this bug is a fresh one.

Best regards,
0 Kudos

Lundin
Senior Contributor IV
Yeah, it is likely some bug in there somewhere. From my experience of using CW and P&E together, those bugs are almost exclusively caused by CW.

As an alternative, you could use P&E PROGHCS08 instead of the CW debugger. That program is intented to use for batch programming and is way quicker than CW. (Actually, I believe CW implements some stripped version of PROGHCS08 to do the P&E programming.)

You get PROGHCS08 with the Cyclone delivery, or alternatively you can download it for free from www.pemicro.com. If I remember correctly, I think they are also giving out their HC(S)08 debugger for free nowadays.
0 Kudos

Otisman
Contributor I

You get PROGHCS08 with the Cyclone delivery, or alternatively you can download it for free from www.pemicro.com. If I remember correctly, I think they are also giving out their HC(S)08 debugger for free nowadays.

Re: PROGHCS08.... I don't think it's free - if it is then I can't find it on pemicro.com... They seem to want US$169.00 for it...
I've seen quite a few older posts from people saying it's free, so I suspect it may have been free in the past...  All the HC08 software is free - but not the HCS08 software...

0 Kudos