Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Architecture MPC8555 Processor Driver codes

Jump to solution
mrityunjoybiswa
Contributor I

Hello Every one,

I have a customized board which having MPC-8555 power processor, DDR RAM, 128 MB program Memory, 128 MB Record Flash, some NAND flash, Ethernet, UART, and some discrete I/O from FPGA. I am new to Freescale. The board is working fine and well tested with Linux. But my requirement is to write stand alone Peripheral and device drivers in C. I want to write some C code for RAM, UART and I/O to make my board as a Single Board Computer. Some of my doubt arise when I was trying to develop in Codewarrior for Power architecture.

1) Does Processor Expert software support MPC-85xx Series Power processor?

2) Processor Expert Software can I integrate to Codewarrior IDE for power architecture MPC8555? If yes which version of Codewarrior and Processor Expert I have to download?

3) Is it possible to generate Peripheral and Device C code automatically as per my hardware requirement in codewarrior itself (means I shall provide the Hardware requirements,Pin numbers or Address Mapping of Peripheral and,IDE will return peripheral driver C code)?

4) How to get initialization and device driver code (in C) as per my Hardware requirement? If Processor Expert having this features for my processor please mention.

5) On the board Program flash memory is S29GL01 which is supported by Codewarrior IDE. Which JTAG I have to purchase for dumping/Burning the Peripheral Driver codes?

6) What will be generated flash file extension that I have Burn to the Program Flash memory?

7) If any tutorial Video/Link is almost meeting my requirements please send the link.

Thanking You.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I am afraid Processor Expert is for QorIQ platform, no supporting for MPC85xx series.

For your requirement, to develop bare-board drivers for the target device, you could consider NetComm Software:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=NetComm_Software&fsrch=1&sr=1&pageNum...

NetComm Software is package contains device drivers as one of it's major components. It supports MPC85xx, but only MPC8568E and MPC8569E, I think you can refer to.

So to answer your questions:

2) Processor Expert Software can I integrate to Codewarrior IDE for power architecture MPC8555? If yes which version of Codewarrior and Processor Expert I have to download?

3) Is it possible to generate Peripheral and Device C code automatically as per my hardware requirement in codewarrior itself (means I shall provide the Hardware requirements,Pin numbers or Address Mapping of Peripheral and,IDE will return peripheral driver C code)?

4) How to get initialization and device driver code (in C) as per my Hardware requirement? If Processor Expert having this features for my processor please mention.

No based previous description.

5) On the board Program flash memory is S29GL01 which is supported by Codewarrior IDE. Which JTAG I have to purchase for dumping/Burning the Peripheral Driver codes?

You need CodeWarrior TAP for this purpose, and a probe tip together:

CodeWarrior TAP|Freescale

Power Architecture® processor ( COP ) Pr|Freescale

6) What will be generated flash file extension that I have Burn to the Program Flash memory?

The flash programmer tool in CodeWarrior supports the file type: Motorola S-Record format, Elf format, Binary/Raw format

7) If any tutorial Video/Link is almost meeting my requirements please send the link.

Maybe these are useful?:

CodeWarrior Development Tools for PowerQUICC|Freescale

NetComm Software Resources|Freescale

Have a great day,
Lunmin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lunminliang
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I am afraid Processor Expert is for QorIQ platform, no supporting for MPC85xx series.

For your requirement, to develop bare-board drivers for the target device, you could consider NetComm Software:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=NetComm_Software&fsrch=1&sr=1&pageNum...

NetComm Software is package contains device drivers as one of it's major components. It supports MPC85xx, but only MPC8568E and MPC8569E, I think you can refer to.

So to answer your questions:

No based previous description.

You need CodeWarrior TAP for this purpose, and a probe tip together:

CodeWarrior TAP|Freescale

Power Architecture® processor ( COP ) Pr|Freescale

The flash programmer tool in CodeWarrior supports the file type: Motorola S-Record format, Elf format, Binary/Raw format

Maybe these are useful?:

CodeWarrior Development Tools for PowerQUICC|Freescale

NetComm Software Resources|Freescale

Have a great day,
Lunmin

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

mrityunjoybiswa
Contributor I

Hello Lunmin,

Thank you very much for reply. Can you suggest me the following things

1. Can I use USBTAP_DSC: USB TAP for ONCE DSC (Part No. CWH-UTP-ONCE-HE) for dumping/Debugging purpose for my project?

2. I have downloaded the Code Warrior for Power Architecture IDE V. 8.8. And I having a snippet code for USB with DDR and ROM memory with some Address mapping. Is it possible to change the address mapping to bring up my customized board? The USB driver is written in main() function. My requirement is, instead of USB driver I have to develop Ethernet driver/UART driver code.

3. If it is possible to change the Address mapping  from my USB snippet, which file(s) I have to Change/Edit for my new Address mapping?

Please download the bellow compressed attachment for Address mapping of my peripheral, USB Code Snippet, and our Actual customized board snapshot.

0 Kudos