Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic codewarrior 7.1.1, Windows 7 64-bit, and PEmicro debugger incompatible

Jump to solution
mikegr
Contributor III

All,

I am recently responsible for maintaining a codebase with a coldfire V2 target (MCF52277) that includes MQX RTOS 3.0.1.  This codebase will compile under codewarrior 7.1.1.  I would like to use the existing tool chain (codewarrior 7.1.1 and PEmicro Coldfire Multilink debugger, USB-ML-CFE) to compile, debug, and build the firmware.  I have a Windows 7 64-bit machine and have been unsuccessful at using the PEmicro debugger with Codewarrior.  I tried the following two methods and both failed.  Do you have any suggestions?

Method #1

I followed the freescale recommended procedure to install classic codewarrior 7.1.1 on a 64 bit machine (see instructions here  http://cache.freescale.com/files/soft_dev_tools/doc/app.../AN3936.pdf ).  I installed Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP mode.  I installed codewarrior 7.1 in the windows XP virtual machine.  This allowed me to compile my code.  I plug in the pemicro debugger to the USB port and my Windows 7 device found it (latest pemicro drivers were installed).  However, when I try to attach in XP mode, it will not attach the USB device.   I most cases when I try to attached on several USB ports, it will not attach to the virtual machine and so I can not run the debugger.  In a few attempts, the virtual machine did attach, but the lights on the USB multilink turn off and a message appears in XP Mode that the USB device has become non-functional.  I have tried multiple PE debuggers and encountered the same problem.

Method #2

I installed codewarrior 7.1.1 directly on my Windows 7 64 bit machine.  There were a view warnings/errors during installation, but I ignored these and codewarrior seemed to install ok.  I was able to compile the code.  The USB Multilink 2.0 device shows up in the windows devices list.  However, when I try to connect or run the debugger, Codewarrior produces the following error "ColdFire PE Protocol Adapter: No USB connection found" message.

I appreciate your help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mikegr
Contributor III

I found out later that my answer above was only partially correct.  I was able to use the flash programmer to download data but not step through the debugger.  I now have the debugger working completely.  See thread below for final answer

https://community.freescale.com/message/323667#

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mikegr
Contributor III

I was able to get Method #1 in original description working using Windows XP Mode, although it is flakey.  I am not sure what fixed the problem, but I downloaded and installed the latest firmware to the PE USB Multilink device.  I also installed the latest PE driver both on the Windows 7 machine AND the virtual Windows XP machine.  Finally, I made the observation that when attaching the USB device for the first time to the virtual machine, the debugger turns off.  If you then remove the USB connector from the PC and plug it back in, it will be attached to the virtual PC.

0 Kudos
mikegr
Contributor III

I found out later that my answer above was only partially correct.  I was able to use the flash programmer to download data but not step through the debugger.  I now have the debugger working completely.  See thread below for final answer

https://community.freescale.com/message/323667#

0 Kudos