cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems burning 908GP32CPE using PROG08sz and ICS08

kitoff
Contributor I
Hi,

I am using PROG08SZ software and ICS08 dev. board to program GP32CPE chips.
After passing all the security bits successfully and choosing the .08P file as 908_GP32_highspeed.08P, the following words appears:"Error writing block data to part.Disabling block write". Then the PROG08SZ software is too slow to reply any action that I click the mouse, so I have to use ctrl+alt+del and then kill this procedure.

Meantime, I use this software+hardware to program 908JL16 and LJ24 chips, everything is OK.

In CW5.1 for HC08 the same problem and indication appears.

Please help me, I do not know where is mistake.

snapshot of the error massege is attacked here below.

Thanks a lot.

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-09-04 02:24 PM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
25 Replies

felom
Contributor I
After seeing these pictures
  gpewfail3.JPG (56 kb)
  gp32fail1.JPG (96 kb)
  gpewfail2.JPG (58 kb)

I suggest you rename the project as there is a double point on the . S19 file, this can be a cause of error
0 Kudos

felom
Contributor I
hi

some time ago I had that problem, and after many attempts I found that the usb-serial cable was the problem because it gave the voltage level of serial communication that the program needs, the problem is solved using a usb-serial converter TRENDnet My Pc uses WinVista Home Basic 32 bits, and the processor is a mobile AMD Sempron 3500 + 1.8GHz.

I hope you can solve the problem.
0 Kudos

erooll
Contributor II
I use a USB serial converter, with PROG08 and later directly from CW6, sometimes I have problems in the programation process, then I need to retry to program, I agree to afirmate that need more test with USB serial converters before release a software, like PROG08 and even CodeWarrior, CW calls the hiwave, that is a P&E module; other problem in Codewarrior at moment to recognize COM Ports it's that need to have ports from number 1 and so, if I don't have a serial port with numer 1, the software don't recognize nothing port, or if have 1,2 and jump to 6 don't show the COM 6.
But all of this is make some adjust to software P&E and CW.

Thanks.
0 Kudos

PoojaKat123
Contributor I

I have same problem but when I install the exe an error is coming it is not valid for Win32. I have shown in Properties in compatibility Window XP option is not coming.

0 Kudos

PoojaKat123
Contributor I

I am suffering with same problem. I am using with CodeWarrior 6.3.2.

0 Kudos

slyrye
Contributor I
Hi guyz:

I've been dealing with diffuculties of burning my 908GP32CPE but after changing my powersupply from 9v to 24v my PROGSZ08 works like a charm!!! my burner is base on MEGAPROG i select class1 hardware during interface inquiries and believe me it couldn't get any better!!! just change your powersupplies from ordinary adaptor to 24v switching powersupply i bought it from ebay!!!

Peace!!!
0 Kudos

PeterHouse
Contributor I
Software Issues:

I now only use the latest version of PE software and remove the old before installing the new.  Whenever I have installed over the top I have experienced unexpected or unusual behavior.

Go to P&E and get the command line batch programming software "CPROG08sz.exe".  Once you configure it, it just works every time and can be run from a command line or from inside most programming editors like Crimson, Codewrite, or Slickedit.

Note:  I have played with Codewarrior and do not use it as I prefer Slickedit and P&E casmhcs08_pro.exe assembler and if I have to, C.

Hardware Issues:

Either use a real serial port or get a USB EdgePort.  I have been using the EdgePort/4, 4 port USB to serial converter, for almost 5 years and it ALWAYS works and has true RS232 levels and accepts 5v-0v serial connections - it works just like a hardware serial port should.  I use this device to connect various test equipment and MON08 programmers.  The key thing I have found with USB to serial devices is not just the hardware but the firmware and Windows drivers.

Freescale makes good CPUs and also has their share of issues.  You will find if you change to another CPU vendor - they all have skeletons in their closets and various gotchas which you will have to work through - HANG TOUGH !!!

Good Luck,

Peter House
0 Kudos

Alegna
Contributor I
hey...

I found this in another forum and it works for me .. ..and I had the same trouble

In the .08P file, comment the line  BLOCK_WRITE .
This line is at the top of the file.

Maybe it works for you too..

I'm using a usb-rs232 module

good luck
0 Kudos

joerg
Contributor II
Hi kitoff

I know this kind off message very well! In my case it was the USB to RS232 converter or if i was using the normal com ports then the FIFO was  not disabled. Since i do not know how the PROG08SZ is attached to you PC tell me. I noticed also, that there are differences between the devices of the HC08 family i.e the QY4 worked (sometimes) and the AB32 not. It also is a difference between Windows XP an ME!

If your programmer is attached to a com port try to switch off the FIFO!

Good luck
Joerg

PS: I did never have problems with my MONLINK08  on the LPT port!
0 Kudos

kitoff
Contributor I
Hi, joerg

Thanks very much for your advice. I rush to try and found the problem still exists. But your advice give me some indication.
1. I am really using a usb to Rs-232 conventer because my lapbook doesn't have a com port.
2. I use PL2303 chipset conventer before and found no RS232 communication is correct, after that I bought a HP represented conventer using FDTI chip. This is so called a high speed usb conventer and mostly I use it without any problem in other conditions which need a RS232 communication.
3. I disabled FIFO option and still won't work.
4. I tried another desktop computer which has hardware com port and FIFO disabled, but it didn't work too.
5. I read a passage from a blog which told me this person designed a board for 908LJ12, and in his writing he use SR12.08P file as the programming algorithm. I am so confused how the SR12 algorithm file worked well for LJ12 chip. And I try to use this SR12.08P for my GP32. To the very surprise, it worked. erase,verify,and program...all the command turn to be avaliable. But the value read from the chip are all FF,this is not correct.

So I think the GP32.08P file is something wrong. Do you think so? how can I rewrite this file to get it work?

Regards,
kitoff

Message Edited by kitoff on 2007-05-0110:31 AM

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-09-04 02:27 PM
0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hi Kitoff,

Great posts you gave us with a lot of info, Thanks.
I've used the GP32 with CodeWarrior and P&E Micro tools quite a lot and have never seen troubles.

May you please tell me if you work with up-to-date flash programmation files from P&E Microcomputers ?

68HC08 Flash Algorithms
(link to PEMicro Website Direct)

Flash is the same on most HC08, that is why you can use other algo. The differences in algorithms are coming from the differences in the memory map of the particular microcontrollers.

Sometimes we have Mark from P&E Microcomputers screening Freescale Community, maybe he can comment.
Otherwise, maybe you could notify this to P&E Micro Support through their interface.
They are very helpful and give useful answers.
PE Micro Support Forum
PE Micro Support

Cheers,
Alban.
0 Kudos

kitoff
Contributor I
Hi, all

It is 20 days after our subscription to P&E service and only 2 messages with no valuable information replied 10 days ago,and no more contact or feedback from the service arrived us.

We really do not want to complain anyone from Freescale or P&E, but the service for customer is actually so not satisfied.

We have decided to stop all projects using Freescale MCUs and replace them with MCUs from other provider.

Fully sorry!

Regards,

kitoff

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
你好,Kitoff

I am very sorry to hear that the support you receive was not appropriate.
Also I am disappointed that you are leaving Freescale great products because of a problem with one Third Party who are usually so helpful.

Customer feedback, positive and negative, is valued at Freescale.
That is why this matter has been taken offline by Management for explanations and understanding.

Best Regards,
Alban / 冉昂理.

0 Kudos

pala
Contributor I

I am using prog08sz programmer ver 2.32 for downloading program into MC68HC908GP32 8 bit microcontroller,

system specification:

Operating system :windows XP

oscillator frequency:19.6608MHz.

But i am facing lot of problem downloading program into MC68HC908GP32 uc through programmer prog08sz ver 2,32.

I listed Following query's  :

1) How to set the security bytes values for MC68HC908GP32 uc, I attached securitybytes.JPG Image file for regarding this issue.

2) Issue about Loading object file into specified object file regarding this issue i attached objectfile.JPG Image file.

3) After loading object file i click on program module command after few seconds i am getting following error regarding this issue i attached programming_error.JPG Image file.

Please go through queries reply as soon as possible about these queries.

I am expecting your reply.
--
Thanks & Regards

Keshavamurthy K.C

0 Kudos

P_EMark
Contributor III
Hello All:

Sorry to be so late in chiming in!

First off, we've found that most users have problems using USB/Serial converters, and we generally don't recommend this setup if at all avoidable. That being said, some users do have success in this regard.

As I mentioned in a direct e-mail to you, Kitoff, we did discover that for a brief period we did have a bad algortihm in distribution. Did you download the algorithms from the link above, as Alban suggested? If you had, this would address your issue (if you are in fact facing an issue regarding this bad algorithm).

I apologize that you didn't receive the answers you were looking for from P&E; however, I would like to "second" what Alban said -- usually P&E does provide very prompt and knowledgable support. Your experience is the exception, rather than the rule.

Please let us know if you've updated the algorithm, and if you're still having this issue after so doing.

Regards,
   Mark
   P&E
0 Kudos

slyrye
Contributor I
I totally agree just as AVR ,PIC and other mcu's had their fair share of shortcomings, but for third party software SDK provider absorbing all the inquiries and ungrateful sarcasms is really quite unusual, and thowing out  software for free your generousity is unbeatable, unknowingly you guyz at P&E are a great help here in the third world!!!

PEACE!!! from the PHILIPPINES
0 Kudos

FOLSOT
Contributor I

Hello all!!

After finalize my beautiful programmer with a serial-usb converter I read this thread and is true the programmer don’t function using PROG08sz. After broken my head I found the problem with the serial-usb converter, this is in the converter descriptors because use 2 bulk descriptors  and don’t guarantee latency time only in the input transfer (for the PC perspective), lamentably the software P&E verify in real time the send data to the hc08 and prevent to work ok. :smileysad:

Regards,

0 Kudos

Alban
Senior Contributor II
Hello,

The matter is not up to whatever is plugged on the Pseudo serial port.
The matter is up to the USB norm and implementation.

What you observe with P&E Micro tool has been observed with many other software. You can't blame someone for checking that what he/she has done is actually happening as it is actually good software practise.

Have you tried to remove the buffers (like for UART 16650) in the serial port parameters ?
Latency is limited when not using buffers (of course).
Then, it depends on which manufacturer your cable is from. I was reading forums where some brands of USB-RS232 converters were better than others.
Also, I think there was such talk on the USB latency a while ago on this Forum.

Regards,
Alban.
0 Kudos

FOLSOT
Contributor I

Hello Alban.

Thanks very much for your suggest, I disable and change the buffers FIFO to the minimum and this isn’t the major problem, the problem is in the converter descriptors (bulk transfers) and the length of this descriptors (2 descriptors*64kb) because this works such as a internal buffer when the pc is busy or when attaches many devices to the root hub.

Regards

0 Kudos

FOLSOT
Contributor I
Definitively no, freescale says:

MON08 relies on sending a 10-bit serial break at various times. We have found that some USB-serial converters do not function correctly when they see this break signal. They distort the timing, and in at least some cases they drop or mangle the following byte. This is a problem in the converter's driver, and there is nothing that NoICE can do to work around it.

USB-serial converters based on the Prolific chip seem to be unusable for MON08. We have successfully used NoICE08 with USB-serial converters based on the FDTI FT2232 chip, and on the Silicon Laboratories CP2102. If you can't see the markings on the chip in your converter, open the Windows Device Manager. Find the COM port associated with your converter, right-click, and select "Properties". Either the name of the device or the information in the driver tab may identify the vendor.

If possible, we recommend that you use a "real" serial port for MON08. If your new PC doesn't have one, and you cannot find an appropriate USB-serial converter, you may want to purchase a PCI serial card.

0 Kudos