Throughput USB/SDCARD on DRM104 DEMOFLEXISJMSD MC9S08JM60

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput USB/SDCARD on DRM104 DEMOFLEXISJMSD MC9S08JM60

jsmcortina
Contributor III

I have been evaluating the JM60 part using the DEMOFLEXISJMSD board. I watched the webcast which is a good introduction.

I was able to load the card reader and terminal software without trouble and they work exactly as described. So far so good.

However, the read rate on the SDcard reader application is very poor.

I created a random 10 meg file on the card and for simplicity I'm using dd to read it back (under Linux, same speed under Cygwin.)

$ dd if=/media/USB\ COPIER/10meg1 of=/dev/null bs=512

20480+0 records in

20480+0 records out

10485760 bytes (10 MB) copied, 76.5 s, 137 kB/s

With a cheap, nasty and old off the shelf reader I can get 8.0M/s so that's a huge difference.

I made some quick wins in speed by flattening the code to eliminate function calls and then bypassed the EP1_Load() step to write directly to USB RAM. (I've not yet used the double buffers of EP5/6.)

This now yields 251 kB/s, but that's still a mile away from my target and suggests I should switch to a different part or vendor.

Am I asking too much of this MCU ? or does someone have example code that gives a useful performance ?

regards

James Murray

PS. This new forum layout feels harder to use.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

jsmcortina
Contributor III

More optimisation led to just over 300k/s which is still far away from my target.

I have reviewed the application notes, but they all show examples where prepared data appears to be copied to the USB IN (TX) buffer in the interrupt once the previous packet has been sent. This leads to slow performance. The S08 CPU doesn't have enough MIPS to use memcpy.

e.g. original SDcard reader app is similar to:

1. receive SCSI28 command

2. read 512 byte sector from SDcard into RAM array

3. interrupt driven copy 64byte blocks to USB RAM and send

4. repeat 3 until all 512 bytes sent.

Steps 2 and 3 cripple the throughput. My performance boost was by combining these so that there is no second copy. I read directly from the SDcard with SPI into the USB IN buffer. The SPI-read, USB-store loop is highly time critical and saving a few instruction cycles made a noticeable real-world speed change.

However, the MCU is still spending a fair proportion of its time waiting for the next USB data request.

My next idea was to read-ahead to a different USB RAM memory buffer and then flip the BDT address when the interrupt said it was ready to send. My code presently doesn't quite seem to work, using wireshark to monitor USB transactions to my PC it gets part way through the card initialisation process and then times out.

i.e. I have two buffers that I use. 64 bytes from 0x18e0 and 64 bytes from 0x1920

While the USB module is sending buffer 1, I write to buffer 2. When the complete interrupt arrives I set a flag. Once my mainloop code has copied the next buffer I set the appropriate address in the BDT to point to the latest buffer and initiate the transmission by setting the OWN flag to 1.

Is there anything conceptually wrong with this? If this works, what's the point of the hardware double-buffers?

I had a look at the datalogger application note (AN3582) that uses the EP5 ping/pong buffer. Unfortunately the code is using memcpy which will kill performance.

I've tried using the ping/pong in my code, but no success yet. Only one buffer is sent before a timeout.

Any ideas before I move to a different MCU with DMA ?

James

0 Kudos

Monica
Senior Contributor III

James, how is the project going?

Keep us posted, we'd like to know!

0 Kudos

eduardo_viramon
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

James, the S08JM part is indeed not suited if you're expecting SD Card reader-type throughput. The SD card reader is an ASIC that only does that, the S08 is an 8-bit MCU designed to do many things.

Also note, the S08 is using the SPI mode for SD card communication, that is the slowest mode SD cards have, so even if you optimize the USB comms, the SD card communication is still limited. The DEMOFLEXISJMSD was created to demonstrate low-speed data logging capabilities of a simple S08 architecture.

Our Kinetis K (ARM Cortex M4 parts) have an SDHC module that is able to handle the faster SD/SDIO 2.0 spec (4-bit parallel bus). If you need fast data transfer you should take a look at one of our Kinetis K parts:

Kinetis ARM® Cortex Microcontrollers</title><meta name="Keywords" conten...

0 Kudos