cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM problem - 1321x NCB, 1321x SRB and 13192 SARD

bitasobhani
Contributor III

Hi all

I am working on 1321x NCB, 1321x SRB and 13192 SARD. I need to store an array of 2000 bytes. I am running out of RAM. Do you recommend me to use an external SRAM. If so, can you represent me a suitable one. Vcc is 3.3 volt.

Thanks

Added p/ns to subject

Message Edited by NLFSJ on 2009-05-10 10:49 AM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

jOJo73
Contributor I

Hi !

It depends the quantity of RAM in your CPU, and it depends also of the quantity of RAM your application needs to run !

If you can use the internal RAM, use it ! If not, you have to consider some questions : parallel or serial SRAM ?

Of course an external SRAM will not be mapped into the memory map of the microcontroller, so you will not have a direct access to datas, and so you have to consider also your needs : to you want to access datas frequently ?

jOJo

0 Kudos

bitasobhani
Contributor III

No I don't need to acccess data frequently. I want to read the elelectricity meter data that is about 2000 bytes. I need memory for saving this data and read data when required. 

0 Kudos

jOJo73
Contributor I

Hi

You can use external RAM to save internal RAM for your application... As you don't have to always access the datas, you can use a serial RAM, for example on I2C bus or on SPI bus (choose the one that is implemented on your microcontroller, you can also implement the bus in your software).

There are many references, so check your distributor, you only need a 16k SRAM so it will not be difficult to found. If you are not sure, give the name of your distributor, we will help you :smileywink:

jOJo

0 Kudos

bitasobhani
Contributor III

Thanks for reply

Can you please present me a common 3.3 volt SRAM. Common SRAMs like 62256 are 5volt. Can I use EEPROM instead?

0 Kudos

jOJo73
Contributor I

Microchip have some serial SPI RAM, for example 23K640 (8 pins available in DIP, SO, and TSSOP).

Prefer using a RAM instead of an EEPROM, because EEPROM have limited write cycles (1000000 erase write cycle for example for Microchip 25LC160).

jOJo

0 Kudos