Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mwldmcf.exe application error memory read

Jump to solution
michaeld
Contributor II

Hi,

When I run the mwldmcf.exe linker on the command line I get an application error exception notice: "The instruction at '0x...' referenced memory at '0x...'.  The memory could not be 'read'".  This is part of my CodeWarrior V7.0 installation I am using to build a flash binary for an MCF52211 ColdFire MCU.

The following is the version information for mwldmcf.exe:

"CodeWarrior Linker for ColdFire.

Copyright (c) 2007, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc

All rights reserved.

Version 5.0 build 7 (build 07)

Runtime Built: Sep  5 2007 16:23:09

Usage: mwldmcf.exe [-options]... [files]... [@response]...

Please enter 'mwldmcf.exe -help' for information about options."

The following is the linker command I am running from the command line:

C:\\"Program Files"\Freescale\\"CodeWarrior for ColdFire V7.0"\ColdFire_Tools\Command_Line_Tools\mwldmcf.exe -processor MCF521X -msgstyle gcc -lC:\\"Program Files"\Freescale\\"CodeWarrior for ColdFire V7.0"\ColdFire_Support\Runtime\C_4i_CF_Runtime.a -lC:\\"Program Files"\Freescale\\"CodeWarrior for ColdFire V7.0"\ColdFire_Support\msl\MSL_C\MSL_ColdFire\Lib\C_4i_CF_SZ_MSL.a -main "__startup" -force_active '__vect','__cfm' -sreclength 32 -breclength 252 -sreceol unix -keeplocal off -nodeadstrip -listing -show all -warn on -g  lcf\MCF52211_INTERNAL_FLASH.lcf [list of object '.o' files] -o bin\MCF52211_INTERNAL_FLASH.elf

Any advice or tips?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
michaeld
Contributor II

This error went away after I upgraded from CodeWarrior v7.0 to CodeWarrior v7.2 and applied the 7.2.2 patch.  The patch had some change comments about crashing: "MTWX41751 – Corrected a linker error that counted the size of an empty segment as code; and therefore, causing a license error message to be displayed.".  I installed it and the linker does not crash anymore.  Now I am trying to upgrade my command line build to use the EWL libraries, and the IDE build was converted automagically.  Updating the command line build has not been easy, but we are working the issue here:

mwldmcf.exe linker error for coldfire mcf52211(codewarrior v7.2)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
michaeld
Contributor II

This error went away after I upgraded from CodeWarrior v7.0 to CodeWarrior v7.2 and applied the 7.2.2 patch.  The patch had some change comments about crashing: "MTWX41751 – Corrected a linker error that counted the size of an empty segment as code; and therefore, causing a license error message to be displayed.".  I installed it and the linker does not crash anymore.  Now I am trying to upgrade my command line build to use the EWL libraries, and the IDE build was converted automagically.  Updating the command line build has not been easy, but we are working the issue here:

mwldmcf.exe linker error for coldfire mcf52211(codewarrior v7.2)

0 Kudos