It is suggested to create a layer when creating or modifying any metadata file (recipe, configuration file or class). The main reason is simple: modularity. Follow these steps
1. To have access to Yocto scripts, setup the enviroment from the BASE folder
fsl-community-bsp $ . setup-environment build
2. Move to the place you want to create your layer and choose a name (e.g. `fsl-custom`)
sources $ yocto-layer create fsl-custom
# Answer the questions. Make sure the priority is set correctly (higher numbers,
# higher priorities). Set the priority equal to the lowest already present, except
# when you have introduce a new recipe with the same name as other and want to shadow
# the original one.
3. Add any metadata content. Suggestion: Version the layer with Git and upload your local git repo to a server
4. Edit and add the layer to the `build/conf/bblayers.conf` file
5. To verify that your layer is *seen* by BitBake, run the following command under the build folder
build $ bitbake-layers show-layers
This document was generated from the following discussion: i.MX Yocto Proyect: How can I create a new Layer?