Processor Expert is very slow

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor Expert is very slow

bugs
Contributor III

It takes quite a well to update the screen after one item is changed.

THe worst parts are  adding bit fields and adding pins for the GPIO. The value input box could only be changed by click the + and - buttons, that is unbelievable slow.

Would you please make it faster in future release?

0 Kudos
8 Replies

jimtrudeau
Senior Contributor I

First, thanks for the feedback. I help gather the product requirements, so I always like to hear this kind of stuff, good or bad. I'll make sure the team sees it as well.

I hear two things here. One - that you have to click that + sign just to change a value. That drives me crazy too.

The other is the time it takes to update when one item changes. I can give you a bit of background on that, but that doesn't make it faster. Depending on the number of properties in a component, there can be a LOT of dependency checking going on (if this value changes, are all other values still OK). That does take a lot of cycles. Nonetheless, the latency does create a negative experience. We were literally just talking about that in a requirements session two days ago - that we need to improve that experience. Making it much faster would be a good thing. At the very least, letting you know what's going on would be an improvement.

Can I ask you for some hardware details on your system - I am interested in four things for sure: operating system, memory size, and processor and processor speed. It would also help to know what version of the tools you are using.

Thanks again.

PatrikResutメk
Contributor II

Hi,

Processor Expert uses only one core of my CPU 2x2GHz! Therefore works so slowly. And I have 4GB memory in dual-channel.

It is terrible to wait so long (about 10s) between each set of each field. Imagine that you have set up 100 fields between various peripherals. It's impossible. Nobody's working on dual-core CPU. I would be delighted if you did some patch for dual-cores CPUs.
Many thanks.

0 Kudos

vfilip
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

could you please specify what version of CW do you use? Or do you use DriverSuite (stand-alone PEx)? Could you please provide the ProcessorExpert.pe file in order to analyze your use-case?

Generally we are aware of the performance issues in PEx and we are working on the fix. Some improvement of performance have been published in CW V10.3 BETA2. Download page: CodeWarrior for MCUs (Eclipse IDE) - RS08/HCS08, ColdFire V1, Qorivva 56xx, PX Series, 56800/E DSC, ...

However, the more significant performance improvements should be published in update for CW V10.3 that is scheduled on Q1 2013.

best regards

Vojtech Filip

Processor Expert Support Team

0 Kudos

PatrikResutメk
Contributor II

Here is *PE file, is any difference between ProcessorExpert and DeviceInitialization?

0 Kudos

vfilip
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

from general perspective there is no difference between PEx and DI. Both uses the same source files and init. components. However there are some differences. DI for example does not support speed-modes and has different project structure than PEx.

Regarding performance issue. Could you please specific which particular action takes approximately 10s on your side in order to reproduced it?

best regards

Vojtech Filip

Processor Expert Support Team

0 Kudos

PatrikResutメk
Contributor II

Still, it is slow.

0 Kudos

PatrikResutメk
Contributor II

I am using CW 10.2.
Thanks for reply and I am going to try CW 10.3 BETA2.

Wait for feedback.

0 Kudos

bugs
Contributor III

Hi,

You are right, At the very least, letting you know what's going on would be an improvement.

I even don't know if the update is finished. It always happen that I changed a value and wait a while, and I see no more UI update, so I go to change another value, but the last update is not finished indeed.

Our developing host OS is Windows XP-pro, 2GB memory, 3GHz CPU

0 Kudos