Project Planning-Need Advice

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project Planning-Need Advice

Thomas_155
Contributor I

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this particular field so I apologize for the basic questions, go easy on me haha. I have been doing a lot of research on this topic but I was hoping you guys could help me shorten a pretty steep learning curve.

As part of my thesis project I would like to have a microcontroller which would control two air pumps and their speeds, a solenoid purge valve, and a BLDC powered water pump(Laing DDC type). The control I want is pretty simple, the BLDC water pump would be a simple on/off control, purge valve to open periodically, and simple control of the two DC air pumps. My initial questions are these:

1. For an ME student, how difficult is this going to be to pull off programming wise?

2. I've read good things about CodeWarrior, is this the best choice for someone with no      microcontroller experience but experience in C programming? 

3. I've been looking at the Dragon12 board from Wytec, would this be a good choice for this type of project? 

I apologize for the long post and I would appreciate any other thoughts or advice you guys could give me.

Tyler 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

DSbob
Contributor III

Tyler,

What is your budget?

1For a ME student with C programming, the hardware side - interface to reactive power loads, may be harderExamples to avoid pitfalls for simple switching relays etc. are abundant.

2I was experienced enough in microcontrollers, and assembly language, to get up to speed and finally learn some C using CodeWarriorInitializing a microcontroller can be pretty complex and the Device Initialization generates that code automatically (from choices you make by CAREFUL study of the uC data sheet).

3Last I looked the free version of CodeWarrior limits use of less flash than on the Dragon12 uC, and its other features seem like overkill for what you describeYou might check out some of the Freescale S08 evaluation board kits.

0 Kudos

Thomas_155
Contributor I

DSbob,

Thanks a lot for the advice. As far as my budget, what I'm trying to do now is get everything planned so that I can go to my professor and show him everything I need to buy. Although I don't think money will be a problem. Regarding your comment on the hardware side of things, I completely agree and the was one of the things that was worrying me the most. On a related note, I was finally able to track down a professor from this area and he said they use Freescale boards like the MiniDragon from Wytec, but they use motor control boards for their projects. That is probably the directions that I will be taking. Any thoughts on this? I have also been looking at the S08 developments boards and I see your point about the Dragon12, and I will definitely head in that direction. I would welcome any more thoughts or advice you have to a newcomer tackling a project like this. Thanks again.

Tyler 

0 Kudos