Understanding imx8mqevk and booting linux from sdcard

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding imx8mqevk and booting linux from sdcard

richard_earle
Contributor III

Hello: Just getting started with the i.MX 8M Quad Eval kit. I'm interested in running Linux from the sdcard. To start with I have downloaded a pre-built example from the knowledge base L4.14.98_2.0.0_ga_images_MX8MQEVK. From here I reference the i.MX Linux guide, chapter 4.3.2 "Copying the Full SD Card Image". Issuing the command sudo dd if=fsl-image-validation-imx-imx8mqevk.sdcard of=/dev/sdb bs-1M && sync  this yields 2 partitions on the SD Card a Boot imx8mq and a 2.0 GB Volume. 

Install the sdcard and change SW801 to 1100 and I get no activity.  is the .sdcard file intended to be all that you need to boot from the sdcard, or is there another step?

0 Kudos
5 Replies

richard_earle
Contributor III

Thanks for the help, in the end I discovered a utility (balenaEtcher - Home ) to be a good & faster alternative. 

0 Kudos

shivanipatel
Senior Contributor II

Hi, Richard Earle

Please use below commands to flash the images, you will be able to get the board boot,

1. sudo dd if=<image name>.sdcard of=/dev/sdX bs=1M && sync
  2. sudo dd if=<U-Boot image> of=/dev/sdX bs=1k seek=<offset> conv=fsync

Where offset is:

• 1 - for i.MX 6 or i.MX 7
  • 33 - for i.MX 8QuadMax A0, i.MX 8QuadXPlus A0, i.MX 8M Quad, and i.MX 8M Mini
  • 32 - for i.MX 8QuadXPlus B0 and i.MX 8QuadMax B0

Regards,

Shivani

Hariharan1
Contributor I

where to get .sdcard file.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

richard_earle
Contributor III

Hello, in referencing your suggested link i.MX6qp Sabre AI cannot boot the validation sdcard image, it states the dd command can't be used and you must use the universal update utility. 

1. if the dd command can be used, can you explain further, by providing an example?

I have attempted to follow the suggested link with uuu and this results in failure, with the associated debug output from the evk.

I assumed from the suggested link example you provide the boot image followed by the .sdcard image, and from the L4.14.98_2.0.0_ga_images_MX8MQEVK example these are the correct files.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Richard,

The dd command is more intended for flashing a SD card after generating the .sdcard file when compiling Linux from source code.

On the recent versions of the Demo images, it will be required to additionally flash the specific U-Boot, in order to ensure proper boot for a specific platform.

You could refer to the following Community thread:

i.MX6qp Sabre AI cannot boot the validation sdcard image 

As a detail, if you already have all the SD card flashed, you would only require downloading the proper U-Boot, and this could be done with UUU or with dd command.

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos