Should QUICC Engine in MPC8569E use soft uart or ordinary uart?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should QUICC Engine in MPC8569E use soft uart or ordinary uart?

Jump to solution
yunyuaner
Contributor I

I'm trying to use ucc uart provided by QUICC Engine in MPC8569E, and I've checked the ucc_uart.c in linux kernel. However, I can't find the corresponding "fsl_qe_ucode_uart_%u_%u%u.bin" file in nxp's website. Seems the ucode is required only if in soft uart mode. Does anybody know if MPC8569E should use soft uart or ordinary uart? If soft uart should be used, where can I get the ucode or is there any script that can be used to generate it?

Thanks

Jia

0 Kudos
1 Solution
alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

UCC UART is not soft UART, this is UART mode of UCC controller. UCC controller is hardware controller, this controller is a part of QE ("Quicc Engine") communication co-processor. This QE is actually another processor which its own software (microcode). This microcode can be either pre-programmed on factory to onchip ROM or loaded to internal RAM every time the device is powered. The MPC8569 processor does not have onchip ROM for QE microcode, to this microcode must be loaded to onchip RAM at device power on.

QE microcode binary image is distributed as a part of our Linux BSP for MPC8569-based "MDS" board.

Direct link to MPC85xx BSPs download page:

https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/run-time-software/linux-software-and-development-too...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

UCC UART is not soft UART, this is UART mode of UCC controller. UCC controller is hardware controller, this controller is a part of QE ("Quicc Engine") communication co-processor. This QE is actually another processor which its own software (microcode). This microcode can be either pre-programmed on factory to onchip ROM or loaded to internal RAM every time the device is powered. The MPC8569 processor does not have onchip ROM for QE microcode, to this microcode must be loaded to onchip RAM at device power on.

QE microcode binary image is distributed as a part of our Linux BSP for MPC8569-based "MDS" board.

Direct link to MPC85xx BSPs download page:

https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/run-time-software/linux-software-and-development-too...

0 Kudos