cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARM RTOS C++

alex15
Contributor I

Hi,

I am currently working with 16bit microchip micros using embedded C, and i would like to make the jump across and start learning ARM free-rtos C/C++ with NXP. At this point i am a bit lost and dont know where to start. I have a number of questions below that will help me get started:

1) I currently use windows 10, as i understand i have to use linux to write rtos?

2) If linux is required, do most people use dual boot hard drives and run Ubuntu for example on the second hard drive? Also if this is correct is it possible to run terminal etc on linux?

3) Could you recommend a good beginner tutorial or book to start ARM rtos C++.

4) Could recommend a good beginner development board to practice ARM rtos C++. As i said i dont really know where to start, so any additional advice to help me get started would be gladely accepted.

Regards, Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Reply

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Hi, 

1) I currently use windows 10, as i understand i have to use linux to write rtos?
ANSWER.  The  Amazon FReeRTOS it is an OS for Embedded devices, in order to compile the RTOS  for our NXP devices like the LPC54  you need to install MCUXpresso IDE,  this Software enables to compile the RTOS libraries, which you need to download separately for the device that you like to use. Basically, we offer an SDK (Software Development Kit) which includes the libraries for use the Amazon FREERTOS and the libraries without the RTOS, this way you have the two options to work with.

2) If linux is required, do most people use dual boot hard drives and run Ubuntu for example on the second hard drive? Also if this is correct is it possible to run terminal etc on linux? 
ANSWER. It is not required LInux, it is only an option since w have MCUXpresso for Windows and for Linux

3) Could you recommend a good beginner tutorial or book to start ARM rtos C++. 
ANSWER. In the AMAZON FreeRTOS web page, there is a very nice book that you can buy, unfortunately, I am not allowed to share or provide further details since you understand it is Amazon Proprietary and not NXP.

4) Could recommend a good beginner development board to practice ARM rtos C++.
ANSWER. We recommend the LPC54628, LPCXpresso Board, which has the very newest LPC device with the most powerful microcontroller available in our AmazonFreeRTOS libraries.

Regards 
Sol 
0 Kudos