Why does the WARP7 use 3.15V power rails (not 3.3V)?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does the WARP7 use 3.15V power rails (not 3.3V)?

Anonymous
Deactivated User

Hi, I'm creating a new design based on the WARP7 and i.MX7 SABRE boards.

The WARP7 board uses 3.15V rails (NVCC_3V15, PERI_3V15) instead of the more commonly used 3.3V rail voltage. Is this to reduce power consumption?

Thanks,

Justin

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Anonymous
Deactivated User

Thanks Igor.

If this is the case, how effective is it at reducing power consumption?

Is it possibly related to the battery voltage? The nominal voltage is around 3.7V, but as it depletes it may get as low as 3.2V - therefore have the designers chosen to use 3.15V (rather than 3.3V) to ensure that NVCC / PERI voltages can be maintained as the battery depletes?

Can I use this in my design?

Cheers,
Justin

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Justin

in battery design reducing voltage even to 3.15V may be important for reducing power consumption.

> The nominal voltage is around 3.7V, but as it depletes it may get as low as 3.2V - therefore have the designers chosen to >use 3.15V (rather than 3.3V) to ensure that NVCC / PERI voltages can be maintained as the battery depletes?

this depends on pmic and voltage regulators, one can check its datasheets for minimal allowed voltages.

Best regards
igo

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Justin

I think you are right, 3.15V was chosen for reducing power consumption.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------