hotelversalles hotelversalles

JB16 I2C

Discussion created by hotelversalles hotelversalles on Oct 22, 2008
Latest reply on Oct 22, 2008 by bigmac
This is a question for anyone who has been using or has used HC08 JB16 microcontroller. I've been using it for over a year now (specially because it has USB) and something caught my attention some time ago... there is no I2C or SPI serial interface! If you read the "Buy/Parametrics" tab here

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=68HC908JB16&nodeId=016246844976637583&tab=Buy_Parametric_Tab&fromSearch=false

you can see that the I2C or SPI interface is specified for all versions (part numbers) as well as the SCI serial interface. But when you open JB16's datasheet... only the SCI serial interface is specified and there are no registers for the other two. So, my questions are:

Does the JB16 microcontroller include I2C interface?
Is there any way that you can implement an I2C interface using SCI interface and that is why Freescale specifies SPI and I2C but only details SCI in the datasheet ?

My partner and I decided to implement an I2C interface using bit banging... but shouldn't the JB16 include these routines and registers as Freescale specifies? We decided to upgrade our project and code using the S08JM microcontroller but I still want to know if I'm mistaken or the specifications are not reliable. Thanks to anyone that can answer these two questions.

Outcomes