AnsweredAssumed Answered

What debugger i-face should I use with FRDM-K66F in MCUXpresso IDE

Question asked by timgargrave on Aug 30, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2017 by LPCX presso support

I am looking for some debugger recommendations from NXP veterans. I am starting a project that will be developed on an FRDM-K66F evaluation board under the MCUXpresso IDE v10.0.2 free edition. The project has a pretty small budget. I am confused by the openSDAv2.1 USB ports abilities to be "the debugger" connection from the FRDM-K66F to the MCUXpresso IDE. I have not bought any hardware yet and am scoping the effort for our 2 man shop (me and a HW guy). I know better than to scrimp on debugger support, but overbuying on debug support may scuttle the project before it starts. I need to choose wisely and hopefully buy the right things at the beginning.

Does an openSDAv USB connection to the PC running the IDE provide a debug connection the IDE I can use?

Is it a viable option on a tight budget?

If you were spending your own money, what would you use? What probe (Segger J-Link base?), IDE and/or debugger SW add on to that IDE?

Should I upgrade MCUXpresso to the pro version?

In case you want some background, this first project will use FreeRTOS and IwIP TCP/IP stack to (mostly) bridge Enet packets to an SPI connection on another board.  I may end up simplifying(?)  it by doing without the stack or RTOS, but I am starting with them in to learn how usable they really are for future projects. While working for a company making ICs with embedded ARM processors I have used ARM compilers in a codewarrior/codeblocks environment with expensive debuggers bought through ARM. That experience is dated now, but I am familiar with the process and the incredible expense involved in that flow.

Outcomes