Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCF8883 Electrostatic discharge protection

Jump to solution
maximefoursov
Contributor I

Hi,

I'am actually working with a capacitive touch component, PCF8883, which is working really well but i got some questions about the ESD on this component.

On the Datasheet page 10 ( http://cache.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/PCF8883.pdf ) the maximum ESD is 2500V.

So my question is, is the 2500V is applied on the IN pin or on every pins.

And is it possible to add one Transil ( (TVStransient-voltage-suppression diode) on the IN input to resist 30kV without modifying the measurement of the PCF8883.

Thanks you for your answers !

0 Kudos
1 Solution
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The peak 2500V of VESD HBM is applied for every pins, not only VIN.

Yes, you can add a Transil TVS suppression diode on the IN input to resist bigger voltage peaks without modifying the measurement of the PCF8883.

Have a great day,
Jose

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The peak 2500V of VESD HBM is applied for every pins, not only VIN.

Yes, you can add a Transil TVS suppression diode on the IN input to resist bigger voltage peaks without modifying the measurement of the PCF8883.

Have a great day,
Jose

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
maximefoursov
Contributor I

Thanks you very much for your answer !

0 Kudos