cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K64F: Load executable from C++ program

cesarhoyos
Contributor I

Hello there,

I am working on the FRDM-K64F developer board, in a project.

For this project, we also have a program by the side of the client PC that receive information from several sensors connected to K64F.

Now, we are scalating the PC program, and we add another module that requires a different firmware in the k64f board.

Is it possible in C++ or by SerialPort communication to load the previously compiled *.elf files? This could automate my process to execute one or another module of my PC by loading the correct firmware.

Thanks for your attention,

César HM

0 Kudos
3 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

From my understanding, you try to update K64F firmware PC application via Serial port. Correct?

If yes, you can do it but you can't use elf file as update file, because elf file not only includes burning code but also debug information. please use srecord or bin file instead. these files can be generated by IDE after each successful build.

If you don't know how to generate srecord or bin file, please let me what IDE you work with. Thanks.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

cesarhoyos
Contributor I

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, because I was not sure what file I was going to need. Anyhow, I am working on kinetis and I do not think that get a bin file is gonna be an issue.

My main question is how to code in C++ on my computer to load a bin file throught serial port.

Regards,

César

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Cesar,

I think you can refer this application note:

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-328168 

In this application note, GUI is made under Microsoft Visual Express®2013, GUI is to read bin/srecord/hex file from PC the program target via serial interface.

Have a great day,
Jennie Zhang

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos