How can we power off the SDRAM on the LPC4357FET256?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we power off the SDRAM on the LPC4357FET256?

billiespencer
Contributor I

We are using the Samsung 256 Mb N-die model K4S561632N-LI75 (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/file/2011/product/2010/5/24/425848ds_k4s561632n...) with the CPU --- LPC4357FET256 ARM Cortex-M4/M0|32-bit MCU|NXP.

We have been unsuccessful in putting the SDRAM into a deep sleep mode (turning off).  No mater what we do, the deep sleep current draw stays ~8 mA.  We do not need to preserve the content in the SDRAM.

So, how can we configure the EMC on a Cortex M4 to put the SDRAM in deep sleep (minimal current draw)?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Billie Spencer,

You can disable the EMC module by set the EMC control register bit0 to 0.

pastedImage_1.png

Please try it on your side.

If you still have question, please just let me know!

Have a great day,
Kerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

billiespencer
Contributor I

Dear Kerry,

We your suggestion this morning and did not get the desired results. Let me explain in more detail.

· We are using the LPC4357FET256 ARM Cortex-M4/M0|32-bit MCU|NXP with the SDRAM from Samsung 256 Mb N-die model K4S561632N-LI75

· The baseline case is the board drawing 10.5 mA with the processor in deep power down mode.

· Following your instructions (i.e., setting the EMC control register bit0 to 0), we observed no change in the power draw.

· To understand which component was consuming this power, we physically removed the SDRAM from the board, resulting in the power draw being reduced to 2.5 mA.

· So, we concluded that SDRAM is drawing ~8 mA when the processor is in deep power down mode.

· We scoped the lines going to the SDRAM and confirmed that there is no clock signal going to the SDRAM when the processor is in deep power down mode.

Therefore:

· Our question is how can we reduce the SDRAM power consumption to values consistent with its datasheet specification (see Table 11 on page 8 of http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/file/2011/product/2010/5/24/425848ds_k4s561632n....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bill

0 Kudos

yuriivanov
Contributor I

You must manually control CKE pin to put SDRAM to power off mode.

0 Kudos

billiespencer
Contributor I

Thanks, Kerry!

We will try this suggestion in the morning.

Bill

0 Kudos