cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of SDcard as boot option on the performance of system

adityanagal
Contributor III

Hi ,

I am working over IMX solo and need to decide the boot option. Here , I am considering the case of sdcard as boot option. As reading from SDcard is slow , so the booting time will increase certainly. Also , as the secondary storage which is SDcard in our case would be mapped as Virtual memory in the operating system. So during execution ,when  page faults occurs ( when page entry is not available in the page table) , operating system will swap-in the page from the secondary storage (Sdcard)  to the main memory i.e. DRAM. So , As per my understanding , this Swap-in and Swap out time will be greater in the case of  SDCard and it will impact the performance of the system. If we use NAND Flash , probably we can minimize the Swap-in and Swap out time . Please confirm.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

b36401
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please note that SD cards very differs by the speed as well as NAND flash.
So you can simply use fast SD card to increase the performance.

Have a great day,
Victor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos