AnsweredAssumed Answered

Building Qt applications for i.MX6QP

Question asked by Cagri Uslu on Feb 8, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 26, 2017 by do nam

Hi, I am asking this question because the tutorials I found in this forum have NOT worked for me. I have tried the following guides and q&a's.

Building a Qt applications for i.MX6Q 

Setup QT Creator with Yocto Build

Setting up Qt Creator to build for i.MX6//

I am trying to build Qt applications on my host machine (Ubuntu) for i.MX6QP Sabre Board. I want to use the toolchain built by Yocto. Let me tell you what I did so far, and where have I stuck.

Setup the Yocto build enviroment:

DISTRO=fsl-imx-x11 MACHINE=imx6qpsabresd source fsl-setup-release.sh -b build-x11

Build Qt toolchain:

bitbake meta-toolchain-qt5

Run the setup script:

./tmp/deploy/sdk/fsl-imx-x11-glibc-x86_64-meta-toolchain-qt5-cortexa9hf-neon-toolchain-4.1.15-2.0.1.sh

I left the path as default (which was /opt/fsl-imx-x11).

I installed qtcreator-4.2.1 in my home folder, then added the following line to ~/qtcreator-4.2.1/bin/qtcreator.sh as such:

source /opt/fsl-imx-x11/4.1.15-2.0.1/environment-setup-cortexa9hf-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi

#! /bin/sh

Then, I run the QtCreator using the same script:

~/qtcreator-4.2.1/bin/qtcreator.sh

I added two compilers manually (C and C++). Their paths were:

/opt/fsl-imx-x11/4.1.15-2.0.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc

/opt/fsl-imx-x11/4.1.15-2.0.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-g++

No problem so far.

I added a new Qt Version by specifying the qmake executable. Its path was:

/opt/fsl-imx-x11/4.1.15-2.0.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/qt5/qmake

qmake is recognized successfully. In its details, QT_SYSROOT is set to /opt/fsl-imx-x11/4.1.15-2.0.1/sysroots/cortexa9hf-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi which is good. However, QMAKE_SPEC is set to linux-g++, which seems not right. I can not change anything in here so I'm continuing.

I created a new Kit, choose the sysroot as /opt/fsl-imx-x11/4.1.15-2.0.1/sysroots/cortexa9hf-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi, choose the newly created compilers, and that is it. According to the tutorials given above, this should be enough to cross-compile Qt applications for imx6qp.

I created an example QWidgets project using the new Kit. I immediately saw two issues in qtcreator:

"/usr/bin/gcc" is used by qmake, but "/opt/fsl-imx-x11/4.1.15-2.0.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc" is configured in the kit.
Please update your kit or choose a mkspec for qmake that matches your target environment better.

"/usr/bin/g++" is used by qmake, but "/opt/fsl-imx-x11/4.1.15-2.0.1/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-g++" is configured in the kit.
Please update your kit or choose a mkspec for qmake that matches your target environment better.

When I try to build the project, by looking at the compiler output, I saw that qmake uses g++ as compiler, not arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-g++. It couldn't compile the project, and even it could, the binary wouldn't run on i.MX6.

What am I missing here? I have added the source /opt/fsl-imx-x11/4.1.15-2.0.1/environment-setup-cortexa9hf-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi directive in the startup script, and I have specified the correct qmake, but it still tires to use my host machine's compilers.

Outcomes