Can we configure the multiple virtual channel for the same camera simulataneously ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we configure the multiple virtual channel for the same camera simulataneously ?

titusstalin
Contributor V

Dear All,

Can we configure the imx6 so that we can receive data on more than one virtual channel?

And would it be possible to configure the data size (width x height x pixelsize) in the IPU differently for each virtual channel then?

Regards,

Titus S.

Labels (5)
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Titus

one can connect up to 4 cameras to the MIPI CSI-2 interface.
For this one have to either use a MIPI CSI-2 hub (if anything
like this already exists) or multiplex the four streams in an FPGA.
Each camera in this case should use a different stream
identifier (stream 0-3).

Those up to 4 data streams can the be distributed across
the 4 CSI (per IPU there are two CSI modules available in the
i.MX6DQ). Each IPU receives this way two camera streams.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

titusstalin
Contributor V

Thanks Igor for your reply.

I've only one camera, but need to receive the frames on different virtual channels at run time.

The camera will change the virtual channel from frame to frame (Data identifier), it would NOT send frames on multiple virtual channels simultaneously, but each frame my have a different virtual channel and we would like to configure the iMX IPU (and MIPI host) with a different data size for each of the 4 virtual channels
Example:
we configure virtual channel 1 to receive 512kb (512 x 1024 x 8bit)
we configure virtual channel 2 to receive 1MB (1024 x 1024 x 8bit)
we configure virtual channel 3 to receive 2MB (2048 x 1024 x 8bit)  
we configure virtual channel 4 to receive 4MB (2048 x 2048 x 8bit)   

Now if the camera would transmit images it would always transmit them on the channel with the smallest size that is larger or equal to what is required for this particular frame. if the frame would be 768kb it would transmit on channel 2 and fill up with padding to be 1MB again.

In OV5640 MIPI driver, virtual channel settings are there. How can I change it in run time ?

What register need to change for virtual channel ?

Can you please help me on this ?

Any iMX RM reference ?

Thanks for your support.

0 Kudos