cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Redlib or to Newlib nano, that's the question

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by OldManVimes on Mon Feb 02 09:57:52 MST 2015
Hi support,

I truly appreciate the fact that LPCXpresso has added support for Newlib nano, but at the same time there does not appear to be a lot of difference between it and the existing Redlib. Both have similar design goals. So with that in mind, let me ask you this. Given a (new) design where both Redlib and Newlib nano are suitable, which library do you recommend we use?

Personally I have a slight preference for Newlib nano because it is open source. That brings me to the next topic.

I have a feature request related to Newlib (nano). The libraries are part of the LPCXpresso installer, but as far as I can tell, the source code is not. Now there should be little reason to debug library calls, but at the same time it can be very helpful. It would for instance make it easier to verify whether or not a particular library call performs heap allocation. So would you please consider adding, or providing separately, the source code for Newlib (nano) such that the debugger can make use of it?

Keep up the good work.
Kind regards,
Vimes
1 Reply

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Feb 02 12:49:02 MST 2015
NewlibNano sources are provided in source form as part of the ARM embedded GCC launchpad project which LPCXpresso uses. The sources are linked to from the LPCXpresso downloads page, or else directly from launchpad. LPCXpresso 7.6 uses GCC 4.9, LPCXpresso 7.5 used GCC 4.8.

If you want to rebuild the libraries, then you may also find this article provides some useful background information...

http://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/08/23/gnu-libs-with-debug-information-rebuilding-the-gnu-arm-libraries/

Regards,
LPCXpresso Support
0 Kudos