cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requirements for stand-alone SWD connection to LPC11U14 target board

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by stanimir on Wed Oct 09 12:06:38 MST 2013
Hello,

I'm trying to connect the target part of the LPCXpresso to a SWD debugger. I was going to use JTAG but after a while I realized it can not be used as debugging interface, so I wen to try the SWD connection.

Here is what I did and didn't have any success. I tried with CrossConnect and ARM-USB-OCD debuggers in SWD mode.

1) I disconnected Link and Target boards by desoldering the pads in the middle of the J4 connector (the one between the two boards)
2) Made a cable between 20-pin header of the debugger and J4 part at the LPC11U14 target board with the following pins (as written in the Kit's schematics):
GNDX, JTAG_RESETX, JTAG_TDIX, JTAG_TDO_SWOX, JTAG_TCLK_SWCLKX, JTAG_TMS_SWDIOX

3) Powered the target board with 3.3V from external power supply
4) Connected debugger with the cable from 2)
5) Tried to connect using CrossStudio, both with their CrossWorks (JTAG/SWD debugger) and ARM-USB-OCD without any luck

What am I missing? Is there a problem that the SWD pins are not pulled-up, but connected straight to the debugger?
I checked that the signals are going to the board, also RESET is always HIGH. When trying to connect I see that the debugger is sending something trough the SWCLK and SWDIO but nothing after that.
Should I connect 3.3V between debugger and mcu or using external (grounded with the debugger) power supply is ok?
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by stanimir on Thu Oct 10 09:26:59 MST 2013
Hello,

I haven't paid much attention to it before but today I looked at the page. I put pull-up/down resistors as advised (100K ones). I also put 100K pull-up resistors to RESET and TDI signals.

Again no luck at all. I can't make my debuggers to connect to the target board. I don't want to user CodeRed's IDE or LPC-Link as debugger. I have my own hardware (CrossWorks and USB-ARM_OCD) and software (CrossStudio) tools but I can't make them work. I know my debuggers support SWD as I have used them with Energy Micro's MCUs with SWD. I though connecting would be easy but as I see I'm missing something.

Do you have any suggestions which can at least point me for direction to search where the problem is?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Wed Oct 09 12:56:11 MST 2013
Did you see the FAQ at
http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/HardwareDebugConnections
0 Kudos