cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPCxpresso Free (registered) Licence Problem

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by MikeSimmonds on Tue Apr 09 05:43:53 MST 2013
[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2]I'm probably not going to[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2] like the answer, but here goes ...

My application is on a custom LPC1778 board, but that is not particulary significant.

The system consists of three [I]completely separate[/I] applications in the on-chip flash.

1) A primary boot loader -- Less than 4KB at 0x0 in flash which mostly jumps to
either (2) or (3) below depending on a dip switch.

2) A more versatile loader. about 54KB located at 0x10000 in flash.
This loader reads via a serial UART and burns images to on-chip flash and various
other non-volatile memory devices. In particular, it writes (3) below to LPC flash.

3) An application (total separate from (2)). About 59Kb at 0x20000 in flash.

When I attempt to debug the application (3) the IDE (5.1.2) complains that the 'PC'
is invalid for the licence.

While it is true that the PC is greater than 128K (the free licence limit), the application
size is well below 128K, merely existing in flash from 128K to aout 187K.

Why can't I debug this application whose size is less than half the size of the registered licence.

Regards, Mike

[/SIZE][/FONT]
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by frame on Tue Apr 09 23:53:36 MST 2013
I mentioned Crossworks mainly because I wanted support for several MCU families,
and Rowley offered that for the least amount of $$.
But as I said, I have a private licence, explicitly excluding commercial projects.

And yes, Crossworks also supports SWD, but not the lpclink (no other toolchain supports lpclink ...).
I deal a lot with STM32 discovery boards, wich have a SWD-only debug adaptor on board.
And they sell their own CrossConnect debug adaptor, which supports JTAG and SWD.
http://www.rowley.co.uk/arm/CrossConnect.htm

But concerning commercial licences, prices for Crossworks do not differ substantially from
CodeRed or CodeSourcery. At least last time I checked.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by MikeSimmonds on Tue Apr 09 12:44:37 MST 2013
[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2]Thanks for your comments.
I guessed that the 'max PC < 128K' would be the simplest way to enforce the
licence restriction even though the elf file exposes a 'range' of code addresses
less than the limit. And I don't 'blame' the Code Red Team at all ... I assumed
and thereby led to my downfall.

I can shuffle things temporarily (depending which module needs debugging)
but that is hardly a long term solution.

Unfortunately, this interpretation was discovered suddenly, and my boss (he
who authorises my purchases) is away for the next fortnight in America.

You mention Crossworks; do they have an SWD (not JTAG) adapter? as we are
now tied into that style of connector and don't want to redo the PCB (again).

Regards, Mike
[/SIZE][/FONT]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by frame on Tue Apr 09 10:17:46 MST 2013
As one of your fellow countryman noted in some other forum, free tools are only free if you don't value time.
That seems also to be true for the free versions of commercial tools. I think you can't blame CodeRed
for interpreting the licence restrictions their way.

You could either try to find a workaround, which shouldn't be too difficult.
Just messing a little with the linker map and some addresses should it make fit into 128k.
But that would probably defeat the purpose of having the two-staged bootloader and the application separated.

Or, you could invest some money in a less limited version of the toolchain.
I did that when growing tired of those limitations and messing with linker files, startup code debuggers and so on.
I do not regret it. And, BTW, I chosed CrossWorks (a private licence), since I deal with other vendor's MCUs too.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Tue Apr 09 07:12:50 MST 2013
Because that is a restriction on the free license.
0 Kudos