Build is displaying "make all" in "Console" window but acually not executing it.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build is displaying "make all" in "Console" window but acually not executing it.

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mhgue on Thu Jul 30 01:47:42 MST 2015
Hello everyone,

using lpcxpresso on Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS there was no problem for several weeks. After some days of not using lpcxpresso but updating Ubuntu I am no longer able to build projects from within the IDE. Calling "make -r all" from within a terminal is still OK. But clicking "Build" inside the IDE is displaying "make -r all" inside the "Console" window without actually compiling anything. Doing "Debug" displays "...axf not found" and there really are no object or binary files in the "Debug" directory.

Having a closer look at the console output of lpcxpresso I found:
  java.text.ParseException: Cannot read MAC address from []

several times but "Display license type" is still:
  License type: FULL
  Debug limit: 256k
  Activation code: ABCD-...-WXYZ
  A FULL copy of LPCXpresso (Free Edition) may be used for production.

I'm not sure if this MAC read failure already was before, so this may be a completely independent fault that has nothing to-do with the build fault. The output of "/bin/ip link" which is called during MAC request looks as usual.

Trying to solve this problem I upgraded lpcxpresso from 7.5.0_254 to 7.9.0_455 without any change of these two effects. I guess something must have changed in my Ubuntu installation, but I have no idea what?

In Linked File not compiling there was an option "Exclude resource from build" mentioned which I cannot find in my IDE. I reverted the project (including settings) to last working subversion revision and even this changed nothing. So I'm sure this has nothing to-do with such settings.

Is it possible to trace command line activity of lpcxpresso to get an idea what really is executed when "make -r all" is displayed inside the "Console" window? Unfortunately there are no paths or prompts and much less information than would be inside a real console.

Thanks in advance

Manfred
0 Kudos
10 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mhgue on Thu Jul 30 06:31:48 MST 2015
There is a top level "General" in Preferences were I was looking. The trick was Preferences/LPCXpresso/General not Preferences/General. I found this browser activation really annoying. Now it's over. Thanks. With this it was the very first time ever to use lpcxpresso without one single error or warning message in terminal  8-)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Jul 30 06:11:00 MST 2015
Thanks for letting us know that you solved the problem.  We actually supply a known-good Java in the product, but if Java is already running on the system, it will use that instead, which is what appears to have happened for you.

On to your questions:

1. The Preference:
Menu
Window->Preference

Preference
LPCXpresso/General/Show welcome view

2. Exclude from Build:
select the resource (file or folder), right-click, select Resource Configuration->Exclude from build
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mhgue on Thu Jul 30 05:52:55 MST 2015
SOLVED:
Obviously it was a BUG in the Java runtime environment. Having no other idea what to do next, I just did another Ubuntu update. During this openjdk and icedtea have been updated too. Since that the problem is gone (including the MAC read fault). Obviously there was an intermediate fault handling execve

2015-07-30 13:39:15 upgrade openjdk-7-jdk:amd64 7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.04.2 7u79-2.5.6-0ubuntu1.14.04.1
2015-07-30 13:39:17 upgrade openjdk-7-jre:amd64 7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.04.2 7u79-2.5.6-0ubuntu1.14.04.1
2015-07-30 13:39:18 upgrade icedtea-7-jre-jamvm:amd64 7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.04.2 7u79-2.5.6-0ubuntu1.14.04.1
2015-07-30 13:39:18 upgrade openjdk-7-jre-headless:amd64 7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.04.2 7u79-2.5.6-0ubuntu1.14.04.1

But nevertheless I could not find "Preferences/General/Show welcome view" and "Exclude resource from build" tick. Could you give me a hind?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Jul 30 04:15:38 MST 2015

Quote:
An interesting fact is that starting firefox at start-up is executed.

This is controlled by a preference - Preferences/General/Show welcome view. It is actually handled by the OS as we just open an HTML file and let the system choose the application to open it.

As your system used to work, then it MUST be something that has changed on your system. Either in the environment, or a permissions, or firewall, or.. Unfortunately, I do not know what :-(
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mhgue on Thu Jul 30 04:11:18 MST 2015
Don't think so:
# Firewall usually is not affecting local runtime exec().
# This PC is inside a company network with no need for extra firewalling to be enabled.

I thought about a permission problem but running as root is changing nothing.

Using a different account on the same PC is changing nothing. So if it is a matter of environment it must be global.

An interesting fact is that calling Firefox at start-up is executed.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Jul 30 03:30:32 MST 2015
It looks like something is preventing the IDE from running any external tools. This would explain explain the MAC error. My guess is that something has changed in your environment. Perhaps a Firewall change?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mhgue on Thu Jul 30 03:24:27 MST 2015
Makes no difference. Ctrl-B, hammer on toolbar, hammer in quickstart, right ckick "Build project" is all displaying a single "make" command and doing nothing more.

Even if I build in terminal and try to clean, the IDE displays "make -r clean" but the binaries and objects are still in place. Doing "make -r clean" in terminal is OK.

Looks like command execution from inside eclipse is no longer possible.

During these builds without action the MAC read fault occurs repeatedly.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Jul 30 03:13:22 MST 2015
What happens if you press the Build button in the main toolbar (the little hammer icon)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mhgue on Thu Jul 30 02:51:39 MST 2015
Thanks for answer.

The output of "/bin/ip link" is
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:16:d4:47:59:19 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:18:de:2e:ac:89 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Quote:
You are seeing the exact command line activity - there is nothing hidden.

In this case absolutely nothing is executed. Just the one single line "make -r all" is displayed surrounded by blue time stamps. But clicking on "Project -> Clean" with "Start a build immediately" and "Build the entire workspace" there are compiler commands displayed inside the window that is disappearing when finished that are not displayed in "Console" even if set to "CDT Global Build Console". So there are things done without display.

Using a terminal created by ctrl-click on project name to execute "make -r all" inside the "Debug" directory is correctly building the project (like any other terminal). So it seems to be no environment fault.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Jul 30 02:20:28 MST 2015
The
  java.text.ParseException: Cannot read MAC address from []

error should have nothing to do with this. However, out of interest, what is the output from
ip link

You are seeing the exact command line activity - there is nothing hidden.

To reproduce the environment, you can follow the instructions in the FAQ
https://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/status-bar-shortcuts
to open a Terminal window and then make -r all in there

0 Kudos