cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JTAG/SWD and reset script selection

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by g_mocken on Thu Jun 18 01:46:19 MST 2015
Hi,

I have some problems in bringing up a custom board featuring an LPC 4074 FB 080.

For testing, I created an "LPCXpresso C Project" via the wizard, selecting "LPC407x_8x - LPCOpen-C Project", the LPC4074 and "lpc_chip_0xx" for the chip library (no board library, yet). Then I built and selected Debug from the Quickstart Panel to create a reasonable default debug configuration.

Results are confusing: I believe that the 4074 supports JTAG, but with JTAG (and LPCLink2 as debug probe) I run into "RedlinkAPI: Hardware interface transfer error". If I switch to SWD, I can program the flash successfully, though.
However, debugging does not start using the default configuration. If I additionally select a reset script like "LPC18LPC43InternalFLASHBootResetscript.scp", then only the debugger starts correctly, and I can perform some single steps.

I would have expected JTAG to work, and the reset script not to work, because according to its name, it is designed for another type of CPU. Should I carry on regardless (using SWD only) or should I suspect some HW related issue?

I have to emphasize that it's a (first!) prototype board, therefore I would like to fix all potential HW issues before going into production.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by g_mocken on Fri Jun 19 03:12:45 MST 2015
Thanks - setting the ISP pin to high removed the requirement of the reset script.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Jun 18 03:43:37 MST 2015
Did you read and follow this FAQ?
http://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/debug-design

0x1ff01ca is in on-chip Boot ROM. I think this implies you have an issue with the ISP pin - see the above FAQ
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by g_mocken on Thu Jun 18 03:30:46 MST 2015

Quote: lpcxpresso-support
A reset script is not required. The default settings created when you first started the debug session will work. Easiest thing to do, is to delete your current launch configurations and start again.

Did so, but then right after flash programming, the IDE immediately goes to a "Running: User Request" state, and if I hit "pause", I get no source code level debugging ("No source available for "0x1fff01ca") and no disassembly either.
Both work with the reset script.

Quote:
Hardware Interface Transfer error

Thank you for your hints, but as stated above, I think the limitation is simply the connector that we are using. In its description I found:
"The ARM20-CTX adapter board allows a … TC2030-IDC-NL Plug-of-Nails™ cable to be used for ARM CORTEX SWD (Single Wire Debug) applications. … For traditional ARM JTAG see the TC2050-ARM2010 20-pin ARM adapter"
So I guess I am restricted to SWD (which is fine, now that I know why).
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Thu Jun 18 02:42:27 MST 2015
A reset script is not required. The default settings created when you first started the debug session will work. Easiest thing to do, is to delete your current launch configurations and start again.

Hardware Interface Transfer error typically means that an error has occurred while transferring data over USB. You can try the following things:

[list]
  [*]    Use a different USB port. Try with, and without, USB hubs. If using a USB hub, make sure it is powered
  [*]    Use the "non-bridged" version of the debug firmware. See this FAQ for selecting http://www.lpcware.com/content/faq/lpcxpresso/configuring-lpc-link2-firmware-soft-load
  [*]    Power your board externally (i.e. do not power it from a USB port on the same PC)
[/list]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by g_mocken on Thu Jun 18 02:25:27 MST 2015
Allright, I can probably the first part of my question: JTAG does not work, because we are using a "Tag-connect" adapter which supports SWD only.

So the remaining question is about the reset script - which one should I use for this type of CPU?
0 Kudos