Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bootloaders Question for phyCORE®-LPC3250 Rapid Development Kit for WinCE

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rcsison on Tue Jul 10 09:00:00 MST 2012
After erasing at least part of our NAND flash accidentally, I made some headway being able to use LPC3250 loader tool to have some ability to use Stage 1 loader capability to load custom NK.bin runtime images for our WinCE-based system. The info from Mr. Wells below was valuable:

http://www.lpcware.com/content/project/lpc32x0-cdl-boot-loaders/lpc32x0-s1l/kickstart-build-example

I do have some questions, though:

1) I'm still a bit lost as to the exact way to load the stage1.bin and kickstart.bin files that came with our Adeneo BSP--so that they will execute completely without intervention of the LPC3250 loader tool. Just by rebooting the device. There are JTAG instructions with the BSP, but I am also hoping that we truly can do it completely through the serious port (UART5).
2) When I've tried different stage1.bin's, we lose capability, obviously. (Such as Active Sync.) I believe that from the info that have I read that the initializations are customized for kickstart.bin and stage1.bin--such as for including Active Sync or not. Is this true?

I'm stuck, and can use some help...

Thanks

rcsison

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rcsison on Wed Jul 11 16:48:52 MST 2012
Thanks, Kevin, for the reply. I did get this restoration to work using the instructions at the link from Phytec that I included in my original post. One was having service jumper (J21 on the Phytec LPC3250 kit) closed during the process described by Phytec. Then removing it before flashing in eboot.nb0 and the NK.bin runtime OS image.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by wellsk on Wed Jul 11 09:33:58 MST 2012
>I'm still a bit lost as to the exact way to load the stage1.bin and kickstart.bin files that came with our Adeneo BSP--so that they will execute completely without intervention of the LPC3250 loader tool. Just by rebooting the device. There are JTAG instructions with the BSP, but I am also hoping that we truly can do it completely through the serious port (UART5).

>When I've tried different stage1.bin's, we lose capability, obviously. (Such as Active Sync.) I believe that from the info that have I read that the initializations are customized for kickstart.bin and stage1.bin--such as for including Active Sync or not. Is this true?
You will (probably) need to use the versions of the bootloader binaries that came with the Adaneo BSP for use with Adaneo's WinCE.
The 'restore.bin' procedure should still work with those old images, but has been replaced (a while back) with separate burner/image apps for kickstart and s1l. The CDL info page documents this approach. The older loaders in restore.bin and the newer loaders also differ in how they use NAND FLASH. The older versions uses the MLC controller, while the newer version  uses the SLC controller. This effects page layout and ECC organization in NAND FLASH, they are not compatible.

I haven't seen the instructions you've mentioned, but the restore.bin should still work fine. You might try force erasing the NAND FLASH device before loading/burning restore.bin. You can use the 'erase_sb_nand_<tool>.bin' binaries loaded via the serial loader to do this. http://www.lpcware.com/content/nxpfile/pre-built-kickstarts1l-images-phytec-lpc3250-board
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by rcsison on Tue Jul 10 09:23:06 MST 2012
Regarding the following instructions from Phytec, http://www.phytec.com/kb/index.php?article=302:

Does anyone know everything that happens in the restore.bin that is loaded after stage1.bin?

Thanks again...

rcsison
0 Kudos