Booting from SPIFI and then shutting down the automatic memory fetches from SPIFI

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booting from SPIFI and then shutting down the automatic memory fetches from SPIFI

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by belzurkur on Wed Aug 15 16:07:48 MST 2012
Hello,

I have a project based on the bootfast example, where a custom scatter file is used to locate everything to SRAM.  I have added moving the interrupt vectors to SRAM and changed the VTOR register.

The image boots fine via SPIFI, but now that the program is running in SRAM I would like to re-purpose the SPIFI for another use. 

I cannot determine how to shut down the automatic memory mapping of SPIFI from the boot stage.  Any interruption of the SPIFI signals or clocks creates a hard-fault exception.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by diederichs on Tue Feb 19 10:48:32 MST 2013

Thanks for the direction.  I have learned that the __aeabi_memcpy4 function is the same as the ANSI C version with the exception that the return value is void.  The “4” indicates that it is assumed that the pointers are word (4-btype) aligned.

Following your lead, I created my own version of __aeabi_memcpy4 which is located in SRAM and all is well.

void __aeabi_memcpy4(void *dest, const void *src, unsigned int n)
{
    unsigned char * s = (unsigned char *)src;
    unsigned char * d = (unsigned char *)dest;

while (n--) *d++ = *s++;
}

Thanks Uratan.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by uratan on Mon Feb 18 01:54:10 MST 2013
Hi, I am trying LPC1830-Xplorer,
and had written my-bootloader/monitor for myself.

I think __aeabi_memcpy4() function is not included in the
spifi_drv_M4.lib, it may come from another library.
Because it is not found on my gcc-4.7.1 (yagarto) environment.
 (the library I used is spifi_drv_M3.lib)

If your linker does not complain, __aeabi_memcpy4() is linked from
somewhere, and the unknown library may use some special section name.
  (on gcc, unspecified section is linked as the linker like)

If you write __aeabi_memcpy4() in somewhere in you source code,
this local function may be prior to the library,
so your __aeabi_memcpy4() may be used instead of it in the unknown library.

I had written it by myself because my gcc does not have it.
If you are interested in, do:
  visit http://www002.upp.so-net.ne.jp/uratan/xplr/endex.html,
  get minimon-012.zip,
  see spifi.c.
my __aeabi_memcpy4() is written in it.

(Mon Feb 18 17:52:35 JST 2013)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by diederichs on Sat Feb 16 11:20:31 MST 2013
I need some help with the SPIFI on the LPC4357.

We have a project that has an advanced Boot Loader executing from SPIFI.  The Boot Loader in our project is capable of distributing firmware images to several areas including other sections of the SPIFI, IROM and other external devices.  We are now attempting to have the Boot Loader update itself. 

We already have a scatter file that places all of the Boot Loader application code into SRAM and we are successfully executing from there.  We can successfully erase the SPIFI section containing the Boot Loader startup code and continue to execute.  However, because the spifi_drv_M4.lib requires ARM ABI compatibility the attempt to write the new code using the spifi_program (SPIFIobj *obj, char *source, SPIFIopers *opers) crashes.  Inside the spifi_program() call, it hangs on an attempt to execute __aeabi_memcpy4 which of course is no longer there.  Just to absolutely clear here… our scatter file places spifi_drv_M4.lib in SRAM but the compiler has placed ABI commands in the startup ROM (spifi) after the code from our startup_LPC43xx.s file.

To attempt to get around this problem I have tried to enforce the relocating of all ABI functions to SRAM but have failed to figure out how to do it.  I repeat that we have already placed the spifi_drv_M4.lib in SRAM.

I have also attempted to write to the SPIFI in command mode using the register definitions provided in Rev. 1.6 of the user manual.  Here is my attempt:

static SPIFIobj obj; // The SPIFI interface is configured by the provided library prior to calling this function.

int spifi_flash_ProgramBootLoader (unsigned int adr, unsigned int sz, unsigned char *buf) 
{
    unsigned int Fail = 0;
    unsigned int Command;
    unsigned int * d = (unsigned int *)buf;

// Limit the Size to a single page.  Limited to 512 on our Spansion flash using command code 0x38.
    if (sz > 512) return 1;

// Write a reset to the status register.
    *(unsigned int volatile *)0x4000301C |= 0x10;

// Wait for hardware to be ready for command.  It will clear the Reset bit.
    while (*(unsigned int volatile *)0x4000301C & 0x10);

// Change to command mode.

// Write the address to the SPIFI address register
    *(unsigned int volatile *)0x40003008 = adr;

// Create the command word.  Obj is configured prior to this call using the spifi_init(). 
    // It chose a command word of obj.prog_cmd = 0x38B008000
    Command = obj.prog_cmd;
    Command |= sz;
    *(unsigned int volatile *)0x40003004 = Command;

// Write the bytes to the SPIFI data register.
    while (sz--) *(unsigned int volatile *)0x40003014 = *buf++;

// Read the status until command complete.
    while (*(unsigned int volatile *)0x4000301C & 0x10);

// Set SPIFI back to Memory Mode.
    Fail |= spifi_init(&obj, 3, S_RCVCLK | S_FULLCLK, 32);

return(Fail);
}

We have tried a couple variations on this theme (including writing bytes and words to the SPIFI data register).  None of the attempts has modified the SPIFI Flash contents.

Help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by belzurkur on Thu Aug 16 15:05:14 MST 2012
Resolved.  Make sure your scatter file locates all library function in SRAM as well.
0 Kudos