AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to get started with 8-bit NXP?

Question asked by Master Desaster on May 2, 2016
Latest reply on May 9, 2016 by vicentegomez

Dear Forum,

i already got some experience with 8-bit MCUs. At first i started with programming an Arduino Nano with an ATMega328p and it was already pretty fun. But because i want to explore all the ways of a subject i went quickly to STM and i am currently using an STM8S103 for some small projects.

NXP 8-bit MCUs are one of the cheapest my local store has to offer so i thought: why not give NXP a shot and use it in a next project?

Because i don't like development boards (usually they are overpriced and can do too much stuff i don't need, at least not at the beginning) i thought about developing my own small breakout board. I am currently thinking of an MC9S08QB.

So the first thing i always think about if i dive into a new MCU family: How can i program this thing (so which software and hardware / programmer i have to use)?

So i read through the documentation and the first hint i read was :

Development Support

– Single-wire background debug interface

Okay, i made a quick google search and i found out that i have to use this tool: BDM Multilink In-Circuit Debugger/Programmer|NXP

But as it says on the website, this product is actually outdated. So the replacement for it is this tool:
P&E Microcomputer Systems: Over 30 years as an Industry leader in Embedded Systems Development Tools, debug probes, and …

As you can see, this one costs a whopping 200$! For me as a student this is impossible to buy from my own money without serious drawbacks in other financial parts.
So i am wondering, why there are very cheap programming options for Atmel (AVR ISP MKII) and STM (ST-Link) 8-bit controllers but it looks like there are none for NXP?
Are there other ways how i can program a MCU (i don't need the debugging option)? Is there also a way to use KEIL or IAR IDEs to work with these other options if there are any?

I hope i don't get disappointed.

Best regards

Outcomes