Single step only with flash - no breakpoint available

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single step only with flash - no breakpoint available

Haiiro
Contributor I
I am using CW 6.4 with P&E Multilink USB-ML-CF Rev C. The processor is MCF5235.

Debug, breakpoints, and all that work fine when running from RAM. However, when running from flash, I cannot set any breakpoints, and I cannot step over functions. Therefore, the entire debug session consists of single steps. Right now I have a Tcl loop of 30,000 single step iterations running in the command window to get through the memory initialization loop.

According to CodeWarrior, all breakpoints are disabled and all watchpoints are disabled. Options to clear them are grayed out - implying that there are none. The View -> Breakpoints window does not list any breakpoints / eventpoints / etc.

When I have the program just run, sometimes it crashes and winds up in a "halt" instruction, and sometimes it stops at a function as if there was a persistant breakpoint there.

The flash erase / program / power up sequences don't seem to have any effect on this behavior.

Is this the normal expected behavior of this system or is there something I can do to improve it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Haiiro
Contributor I
Interesting results: I got through the 30,000 single steps and the program crashed.

Then I tried something: I quit and restarted CodeWarrior. The debugging process now works.

Lesson: If strange things start happening, quit and restart. It seems that there is something hanging around across all the other compile / program / debug / power cycle processes.

0 Kudos