MC13234 LO Unlock Condition, How Bad Is It?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC13234 LO Unlock Condition, How Bad Is It?

mhammond4
Contributor I

I'm having a problem where a small subset of boards utilizing the MC13234 end up with an LO unlock condition (as indicated by the STATUS2 register). It seems that maybe 1/100 boards will exhibit this condition, and the condition usual presents itself within the first 50 or so transmissions, and is repeatable when the boards are reset. The other 99/100 boards never seem to present the LO Unlock condition.

I'm wondering what exactly the LO unlock means as it pertains to the performance/reliability of the device. Is this sort of a normal thing to see every once in a while, and I should just reset the radio and continue as normal, or can it be indicative of a bigger problem? Are there external factors that can increase the likelihood of LO unlock (e.g. a swapped component leads to an improperly impedance matched antenna port)?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Reply

EarlOrlando
Senior Contributor II

Hello Matt,

The RF PLL Unlock Condition is very unusual. My advice is to use our reference designs as a hardware starting point, or if you have and the unlocks are occurring, I suggest looking to solder problems.

Please verify that the xtal is working properly in the boards that present this failure.

I will be looking forward to your reply. For further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be glad to help you.

Best regards,

Earl Ramírez.

0 Kudos