Failure to create a image on uSD card using Windows MFG Tool

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

farangutan
Contributor I

I'm running into a number of problems using the manufacturing tool.  I'm following the steps exactly as detailed in the "Getting Started" video and written guide.  Several of my co-conspirators with identical hardware are encountering the same problem.  When I run the VB script that ends in *sd2.vbs" the image creation fails during the writing of the root file system after the micro SD card is formatted.  Windows asks to format the micro SD card but that format fails.  I just close the dialog box.  The image creation gets past the formatting step and then fails.  I have tried a number of different micro SD card from different manufacturers.  I tired 8GB, 16GB and 64GB micro SD cards all with the same result.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

could you tell me which BSP and board are you using?

0 Kudos

farangutan
Contributor I

Jimmy

I used the i.mx6UL development kit (SOM + BB) that is featuring in the getting started video.  I'm not sure how to answer the BSP question.  The creation of the SD card is failing.

I downloaded the latest MFgTool software, unpacked it on Windows 7 with 7Zip.  I tried to install and boot the image called "mfg2tool-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-sd2.vbs"

The first part of creating the SD card seemed to work.  U-Boot and other DTLIB files were written on the SD card. The i.mx6UL processor then rebooted and a message appeared about formatting the SD card appeared on the MFgTool.

Also, a Windows dialog box opened asking to format the SD card which I found very surprising.  The Windows utility failed to format the card.  I restarted the entire MFgTool process from the beginning and just checked "cancel" when the Windows dialog box appeared.  

The creation of the SD card image continued for a few minutes and then a "writing" a root file system message appeared.  After 30 seconds, the progress bar on the Mfg Tool turns red and the MfgTool reports "failed".

Also, tried "qspi.vbs" file.  The QSPI image was reported as written correctly by the MfgTool but when I tried to boot it (yes, the SW601 and SW602 on the SOM were set correctly) not Linux prompt appeared on the console.

Several other people boot on my team bought SOM+BB kits (all directly from Freescale).  All of us are encountering the same problem.  I apologize for being somewhat "stealthy" but I don't want my competitors to learn what we are doing.

Thanks for your help,Wayne

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis", -- unencumbered by rational thought!

To: Wayne Radochonski <wayne.radochonski@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, December 7, 2015 1:27 AM

Subject: Re: - Failure to create a image on uSD card using Windows MFG Tool

|

|

reply from jimmychan in i.MX Community - View the full discussioncould you tell me which BSP and board are you using?

Did your question get answered? If so, say thanks by clicking Correct Answer in the community thread!

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Freescale Community

Start a new discussion in i.MX Community by email or at Freescale Community

Following Failure to create a image on uSD card using Windows MFG Tool in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Freescale Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Freescale Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences |

|

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I think you are using i.MX6UL EVK. This is the link of this board.

i.MX6ULtraLite Evaluation Kit|NXP

Are you using the proper images and mfgtool for i.MX6UL EVK?

For the BSP and demo image, you can download it from "Downloads" page under Board Support Packages.

For the MFGtool for 6UL, you can download it from "Downloads" page under Programmers.

For the details about all the steps of building BSP and how-to program the board, please read the user guide in L3.14.38_6ul_LINUX_DOCS.

0 Kudos

farangutan
Contributor I

Jimmy

I followed all the steps in the documentation exactly.  Several other members of my team, all encountered the same problem.  They followed the directions independently.  All of us had the same result.  The documentation makes no mention of the Windows formatting program ever running yet it does.  

We need to verify that our EVK hardware is working as step one.  Building a BSP comes later.  

Understand that I'm trying to make both our organizations a success not be a difficult customer.  I just have no time to waste.  We have very limited time to get our product to market.

In the archive "mfgtools-with-rootfs.tar", these files were found:

mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-qspi-nor-n25q256a

mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-ldo-sd1.vbsmfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-ldo-sd2.vbsmfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-ldo-sd3.vbsmfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-sd1.vbsmfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-sd2.vbsmfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-sd3.vbsmfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-spi-nor.vbs

All of these files appear to be VB scripts that write an image onto an SD card or QSPI.  The VB script "mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-qspi-nor-n25q256a" claims to correctly write the QSPI.  When SW601 is set for QSPI boot (D1-D4 all off) and SW602 is set to internal boot (D1-On, D2-Off), Linux does not appear to boot.  Nothing appears on the serial console.

Using the MFgTool, the mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-sd2.vbs script fails to write the SD card.  The write fails during "Writing Root File System" step.  

Our team ordered five i.mx6UL EVKs from Freescale directly.  All of these boards behave identically.  QSPI image does not appear to work.  All of the other images fail during the write of the SD card.

What is the difference between mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-ldo-sd2.vbs and mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-sdcard-sd2.vbs?  

Is there a procedure for creating an SD card under Linux directly, that does not use the MFGTool program?

The problem could be bad EVK hardware, our understanding of the procedure (but it seems very straightforward) for writing an SD card or just that the MFGTool isn't working,  All of the failures to write the SD card occurred when running MFGTool under Win7.

If you can't provide any more help, then I need to know how to escalate this problem.  

Our schedule is being impacted by the inability of the EVK to boot Linux. An order of 100K/pieces a year is continent upon us getting the EVK working, followed by our own target hardware.  

Wayne "Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis", -- unencumbered by rational thought!

Sent: Monday, December 7, 2015 8:55 PM

|

|

reply from jimmychan in i.MX Community - View the full discussionI think you are using i.MX6UL EVK. This is the link of this board.i.MX6ULtraLite Evaluation Kit|NXP  Are you using the proper images and mfgtool for i.MX6UL EVK? For the BSP and demo image, you can download it from "Downloads" page under Board Support Packages.For the MFGtool for 6UL, you can download it from "Downloads" page under Programmers. For the details about all the steps of building BSP and how-to program the board, please read the user guide in L3.14.38_6ul_LINUX_DOCS.

Did your question get answered? If so, say thanks by clicking Correct Answer in the community thread!

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on NXP Community

Start a new discussion in i.MX Community by email or at NXP Community

Following Failure to create a image on uSD card using Windows MFG Tool in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by NXP Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from NXP Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

There are two micro-usb otg ports on the base board. One is USB-OTG (J1102) and one is USB-UART (J1901). When you using the MFGtool, there should be some messages output from the USB-UART one. And the board boot up, log message will output from the USB-UART.

If you don't want to use MFGtool, you can use 'dd' command to program the SD card. You can find the instruction in the i.MX Linux User's Guide.

For example, put your SD card into the USB card reader then program the u-boot to the SD card by this command.

$ sudo dd if=<U-Boot image> of=/dev/sdx bs=512 seek=2 conv=fsync  (where sdx is the device name of your card reader)

The first 1 KB of the SD/MMC card, which includes the partition table, is preserved.

0 Kudos

farangutan
Contributor I

Jimmy

Thanks for the very prompt response and your patience.  The EVK/SOM is causing a number of headaches for all of us.  The first step for us to have confidence that our EVK hardware is actually working by booting a Linux image that Freescale has created.  We will try using "dd" to create a SD card image. 

There are other i.mx6UL SOMs available but they aren't quite ready for delivery. If we don't make progress with the EVK soon, we will try a SOM from another vendor.  We like the i.mx6UL MPU, the EVK not so much.  If Freescale ever spins the SOM, please get rid of that awful micro SD connector on the SOM in favor of eMMC (ok, enough whining).

None of the Freescale documentation mentions the Win7 format utility actually running.  Yet we see that happening consistently.  Is the Win7 formatting utility expected to run when the MfgTool is used?

Thanks again for your help.  I will let you know the results of creating an image using "dd".

Wayne "Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis", -- unencumbered by rational thought!

Sent: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 1:20 AM

|

|

reply from jimmychan in i.MX Community - View the full discussionThere are two micro-usb otg ports on the base board. One is USB-OTG (J1102) and one is USB-UART (J1901). When you using the MFGtool, there should be some messages output from the USB-UART one. And the board boot up, log message will output from the USB-UART. If you don't want to use MFGtool, you can use 'dd' command to program the SD card. You can find the instruction in the i.MX Linux User's Guide. For example, put your SD card into the USB card reader then program the u-boot to the SD card by this command.$ sudo dd if=<U-Boot image> of=/dev/sdx bs=512 seek=2 conv=fsync  (where sdx is the device name of your card reader)The first 1 KB of the SD/MMC card, which includes the partition table, is preserved.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on NXP Community

Start a new discussion in i.MX Community by email or at NXP Community

This email was sent by NXP Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from NXP Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences |

|

0 Kudos