cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EEPROM repeated writes

Jump to solution
iainrist
Contributor I

When the FlexNVM is partitioned as EEPROM and the FlexRAM is set as EEPROM, do repeated writes of the same value to the same EEPROM address result in duplicate EEPROM record creation, or does the internal controller recognise nothing has changed and no flash operation is required?

Consider the following

1. I write 0x01234567 to 0x14000000. I wait for the EEERDY bit before I proceed.

2. I then write 0x89ABCDEF to 0x14000000. This will result in a new flash record operation. I wait for the EEERDY bit before I proceed.

3. I then write 0x89ABCDEF to 0x14000000. Does this result in a new flash record operation? I wait for the EEERDY bit before proceeding, but will this be a much shorter wait than in step 2?

My primary care is when coding a generic EEPROM write function, should I only write if the source and EEPROM data are different, or can I rely on the EEPROM controller to do the job for me?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Iain,

The writing EEPROM operation is same no matter writer same or different value in the EEPROM.

I hope it clarifies your confuse.
Have a great day,
Ping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Lain,

I'd like to say that do what you want.

And I'd highly recommend you to go for download the C90TFS/ FTFx flash which provides driver functions to perform high-speed program,erase operations, etc.

In the C90TFS/ FTFx flash, EEEWrite() function is used to write data to FlexRAM section which is partitioned as EEPROM use for EEPROM operation.

The link of the C90TFS/ FTFx flash as below.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/software/C90TFS_FLASH_DRIVER.exe?fromsite=zh-Hans
Have a great day,
Ping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
iainrist
Contributor I

Hi Ping,

Thank you for the link to the C90TFS Flash Driver. I did not know about that. It performs the writes in the same way I perform the writes.

Your response does not answer my question. My question concerns the EEEPROM state machine in hardware.

If I were to write the same value to the same EEEPROM address ad infinitum, would I wear out the backup FlexNVM or would the EEEPROM state machine recognise the same data is being written to that address and not perform the write?

Thanks

Iain

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Iain,

The writing EEPROM operation is same no matter writer same or different value in the EEPROM.

I hope it clarifies your confuse.
Have a great day,
Ping

0 Kudos