AnsweredAssumed Answered

RTCS direct to switch without PHY on K64?

Question asked by Brian Willoughby on Aug 31, 2015
Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 by Carlos_Musich

Is it possible to configure RTCS/MQX to talk directly to an ethernet switch without a PHY or MDIO/MDC connection?

I'm looking at the source, and after RTCS_create() there is a call to ipcfg_init_device() which in turn calls ENET_initialize()

Inside the ENET_initialize() function, there seems to be a requirement that either the code will find a PHY using Auto-discover, or the PHY Address must be hard-coded.

I do not see an option for "no" PHY. Such an option would require hard-coding the duplex and speed as well as forcing the interface to be "up" at all times - at least that's my basic understanding of how things should work.

Does RTCS support non-PHY links, such as a direct connection on the PCB to a switch? I'm working with the Marvell 88E6352, which has many configuration options, but I don't think any of the options would work as a full PHY - at least not in the sense that the K64 would be able to communicate over MDIO/MDC and "see" at PHY respond.

Any suggestions?

RTCS seems to have a few configuration options for variations in hardware setups, but I do not see anything so far that would work as described above.

Outcomes