RTCS direct to switch without PHY on K64?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RTCS direct to switch without PHY on K64?

brianwilloughby
Contributor III

Is it possible to configure RTCS/MQX to talk directly to an ethernet switch without a PHY or MDIO/MDC connection?

I'm looking at the source, and after RTCS_create() there is a call to ipcfg_init_device() which in turn calls ENET_initialize()

Inside the ENET_initialize() function, there seems to be a requirement that either the code will find a PHY using Auto-discover, or the PHY Address must be hard-coded.

I do not see an option for "no" PHY. Such an option would require hard-coding the duplex and speed as well as forcing the interface to be "up" at all times - at least that's my basic understanding of how things should work.

Does RTCS support non-PHY links, such as a direct connection on the PCB to a switch? I'm working with the Marvell 88E6352, which has many configuration options, but I don't think any of the options would work as a full PHY - at least not in the sense that the K64 would be able to communicate over MDIO/MDC and "see" at PHY respond.

Any suggestions?

RTCS seems to have a few configuration options for variations in hardware setups, but I do not see anything so far that would work as described above.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brian,

We haven't done this before for the Kinetis families, but we know this is a common practice for the MPC products. Please note that you may not use the PHY but you will always need MDIO. You can refer to the attached image of the RMII MAC-to-MAC connection. In addition I've attached the RMII Specification which could be used as a reference.

Regarding to MQX:

Unfortunately, as you mentioned, MQX does not provide support for no PHY mode. It may be possible to edit the BSP to implement this use case, but I am not aware of all the changes that this process may require. Meaningful changes have be done to the BSP to achieve this and this kind of support is only provided by our professional services team. You can contact them at www.freescale.com/services

Best regards,

Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos