cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MQX vs FreeRTOS

troide
Contributor II

Hello Community,

We are going to use imx6 solox plus Kinetis MCUS for our new project. I've used MQX and CodeWarrior before but I heard Freescale started supporting FreeRTOS for their new chips include imx and kinetis. So my question is which RTOS is a better choice for us? Should I picked up MQX or a new RTOS platform like FreeRTOS. Which one would  be a better choice in terms of tools and future support?

Cheers,

Sina

0 Kudos
1 Reply

soledad
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

In general Free RTOS is a great partner.

Freescale continues to support MQX RTOS.  We have a new release of Kinetis SDK that includes MQX software that is targeted for late September release.  Additionally we have a maintenance patch MQX 4.2.0.1 that is targeted for release in September. Additional maintenance (bug fix) patches for the latest MQX software releases will be available in the future if needed.  

Technical support & bug fixes on latest MQX releases are not going away.

MQX ports are available on the large majority of Kinetis MCUs.

After the Kinetis SDK v1.3 release which includes MQX RTOS, Freescale does not have any more MQX RTOS ports planned.  However, any new MQX RTOS ports to support additional MCUs will available at a reasonable cost.

The final decision depends of the application.

Have a great day,
Sol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------